2019 grab an opal tour.

reddo

Re: 2019 grab an opal tour.

Post by reddo »

After 4 days of R&R at the ridge everyone was up early for the last dip in the thermal ponds .. then pack up.. say goodbye to Kath and Rob .... and .. Stephen and Julie as they head off towards St George then east towards the coast over the next few days.

We headed south to Walgett to fuel up then on across the wide open plains dotted with cotton fields on our way to Burren..
DSCN7042.JPG
Each one of us drivers thinking the other one knew where to turn off into the bores...so the end result was a few of us doing a u turn about 1k through Burren and going for a lap through town ....nice flash new pub.. then heading back in the direction we had been heading.. about 2 k out of town we found the entry on the right.. drove in.. got out and abused each other for the stuff up !!!
Plenty of other campers set up .. but we found room for our 6 vans along the eastern boundary fence... Tables set up.. eskys at the ready .. happy hour is on...
DSCN7054.JPG
Veronica kept us entertained while she set about trying to catch yabbies in the bore drain just over the fence.. no luck.. but 10 points for enthusiasm.
Incredible sunsets out here... but unfortunatley the battery in my camera had given up by this stage and i only got one photo
DSCN7056.JPG

from here we moved on the next day .. stopped at Wee Waa for morning tea. Al showed us the Jindayne Police station in Wee Waa.. ask him.. he will tell you the story of how that came to be ????
Then on to Narrabri for a 2 night stay.. lotsa shed visits, trucks n cars , garage memrobillia etc.. also had a tour through Als backyard.. only about 500 metres down the road from the van park...
A big baked meal that night prepared by the girls and Dave in the camp kitchen and on Dave and Jens weberque...even had candles and a nice table setting out in the annexe .. took about 2 hours to wash all the gear up ... but the meal was absolutely superb .We raised a glass and toasted to our last night on tour... another complete success.. thanks guys.

Next morning it was head for home day.. took a break at Curlewis to check out the unique war memorial .. then on down to Gunnedah for a wee break... onwards to Qurindi.. and from there to Murrurundi for lunch at the showground..
It was here that i said my goodbyes to everyone .. as i walked back to the car i could feel a cold westerly on my back. By the time i got home 3 hours later the weather had closed in and we got a week of rain and bitterly cold winds... how lucky where we to have had such great weather on the tour?/

thats it from me... i seen others on the tour taking plenty of photos.. hows about someone else sticking up there account of the trip here on the forum?/

A big thank you to John and Pam for organising this great event.. well done guys.. and it was a pleasure to have been along for the ride this year without me having to worry about anything...... very enjoyable time with very enjoyable people.
Cheers

Reddo
griffin

Post by griffin »

Thanks for the photo tour Reddo, not as good as being there but better than missing out completely.

George
reddo

Post by reddo »

No worries George... It was a fluke finding the photos in my albums on the 'puter .. they where lost for about 4 weeks after i came home. Stumbled across them in a folder that had nothing to do with vintaqge vans...
Gotta love technology... but... it was probably my fault .. not the camera or the computer..... operator error ??

Reddo