Towbar certification ??

General discussion about the topic of historic caravans.
reddo

Towbar certification ??

Post by reddo »

Hi...
Was having a yarn with a bloke around at the pub yesterday..
He had just come home from The Tamworth Country music festival.
He has a late model 4x4 with a reasonably new caravan..

On the way out of town he came across a large police presence .. they where pulling vehicles over that where towing trailers, vans, horse floats etc.. He noticed a few vans and trailers detached from tow vehicles and parked off the shoulder of the road..

Turns out they where checking towbar certification stickers...The mate was OK to proceed.. but in conversation with the police they mentioned that some of the tow vehicles had no certifiction on the towbar so had to leave the trailers etc where they where until they could get something with a certified towbar to take the item home..?

I mentioned to the mate that our old towcars have old bars and the certification would probably not apply .. things like repco or nasco bars fitted back in the 50s 60s 70s etc didnt not have compliance stickers..??.. are we expected to comply with todays rules.. he seemed to think we do.. i prefer to think we dont>.. but that is an Ostrich approach to the subject.

I would hate to have to leave my old supalite van .. or a trailer load of vintage motorbikes in the middle of nowhere while chasing around for a compliant tow vehicle... :o :shock: :o :shock:

I have seen some rough looking towbars .. home made bush mechanic tyoe thingos with birdshit welds etc.....and rightly so they shouldnt be on the road..but are we expected now to rush off to an engineer and pay for a cerificiate of compliance to what ever new law the police are work with ?/

Are rego inspection stations checking this ate rego time??
Strugglebrook .. can you clarify any of this??

Not wanting to cause hysteria about this but would like o know just exactly wherre we stand with our old towcars/bars

Reddo

P.S....If i get a chance i will drop into the local RMS and make a few enquires.....
Strugglebrook

Re: Towbar certification ??

Post by Strugglebrook »

Good morning MR Reddo,
The towbar ID certification came in around 1994 in NSW, before this tow bars generally had no stampings bar mabe a model number or brand name and no stickers. If you were to get one manufactured for an older car issues could arise. Good thing your car has an original Nasco bar fitted as you don`t want to go down that path.

JD. PSK. :D :D :D :D :D
reddo

Re: Towbar certification ??

Post by reddo »

Thank you Mr John.
I spoke to a blue slip insp bloke this morning.. he said pretty much the same thing...the old bars are all pre ADR and therefore do not need cert. but anything homebuilt since then should be insp by an engineer and certified safe..

If anyone is looking for a bar for a sedan or wagon i can steer them onto about 5 i have found since last sunday.

All good...