Secure your gas bottle

General discussion about the topic of historic caravans.
reddo

Secure your gas bottle

Post by reddo »

I was going to put this message in "Tips and Tricks".. but cant post photos there..????

Back before Christmas i travelled to Hat Head with the Atlas supalite on behind the dodge. I detoured into Kempsey for fuel. While i was filling the car up a bloke mentioned that the gas bottle on the drawbar had come undone from its clamp and was laying over against the van working a slot in the aluminium.
DSCN6626.JPG
The bottle had almost worked its way over to the horizontal position .. if old mate hadnt spotted it i was left to wander if the bottle could have got down past the brake cables and dragged on the road.. with a chance that an ensuing spark could have blown it and the van off the face of the earth !!!

so.. sat bottle up.. tightened clamp and continued on my merry way..

Finally got around to patching the van yesterday.. adjusting the clamp again.. as well as fitting a latch through the hole in the clamp so it can not be inadvertantly released .
DSCN6628.JPG
Most people would have a padlock on there to stop thieves from wandering off with the bottle.. its on my shopping list next time i am heading to bunnings.

reddo