Aluminium eyebrows !

The place to talk about anything not relating to Historic Caravans or Holdens.
DC3TD

Aluminium eyebrows !

Post by DC3TD »

So there i was,minding my own business perusing the pages of THAT site when lo & behold i came across an ad for mudguards.Makers christian name not listed & surname misspelled. Looked familiar.Sounded sort of familiar. Bit of checking but all i came up with was pages of damn names of drinks! So, a bit of manipulating the letters around & finally up came what i was looking for. "You gotta be kidding" i`m thinking. No way! So back to THAT site. Yep,that`s what the ad reads. Hell,why not give it a shot. Got nothing to lose. And besides, have a bit of fun along the way. No need to check the bank. I know how many chips i can afford. So i wait & watch. Comes the time to do business. One bid. Two bids. No need for three. They`re in the bag. And i still have a swag of chips left on the table. Oh yeah, what are they? Four hand formed Bentley Mallalieu MK V aluminium guards by reknowned architect/designer, Derry Mallalieu. So what dya do with them? Two front ones onto the Td. Two rear ones,turned on their side as either bumpers on the Td or mudguards on the wooden buckboard trailer of mine.
cheers gordon
Richard

Re: Aluminium eyebrows !

Post by Richard »

Hey Gordon.
How have you been, havnt heard from you for a while.
Great score !!! Guards like that are very hard to come buy for a teardrop let alone a for a Bently. Will look great matched up with some 16' wire wheels like on Reddo's teardrop.

Richard
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
DC3TD

Post by DC3TD »

Hi Richard. Been hanging around, but not doing much with the Td as had op on leg so that slowed me down. Have been 'collecting' stuff here & there in the meantime.As for the matching up like Reddos` - originally i bought a complete set of FJ wheels as i thought that was what were probably on it but according to Hans who owned & showed it decades ago he swore that it ran 16" Austin 3 studders.He being an ex Austin Pres i figured he`d know. So i duly located a pair with caps. Now i`m going to reconfigure the set-up so that the Austin wheels sit outside the body with these guards ala Reddos. C/o Reddo i got a pair of Willys wires & snapped a new pair of Michies to suit for a buckboard trailer. Ironically both the Td & trailer were pre-owned by Reddo,Willyn ( Airstream) & Hans! Cheers gordon
reddo

Post by reddo »

Hi Gordon.

Its a bit hard to get those guards into some sort of proportion by looking at them in your photos.. what width and radius are they.??
Certainly look like they would lend themselves to a TD nicely.

Just make sure yoiu brace them good and solid. Would not take much to split them near the bolt holes if they get a chance to flap/ vibrate.

Good score no matter what they cost ya. 8-) ;)

Reddo
DC3TD

Post by DC3TD »

Hi Reddo. Herein pics & also type of Bentley they were for. Guards were specially made 6 - 3/4" wide but standard radius to suit 16" modified wheels that Derry had in mind to use.There is currently on "there" a set of 4 newies for a hot rod or other, from some one else with a startup of 4k. And no, i never paid that or anywhere near that for mine. cheers gordon