Van spotting from a cruise ship.

griffin

Van spotting from a cruise ship.

Post by griffin »

I recently posted some decor items found while cruising around New Zealand.
Cruising isn't my idea of particularly good time or of seeing much of where you cruise to so I thought I didn't too bad to actually spot a couple of old vans.
Tauranga on the North Island is a lovely little spot which is gateway to Rotarua on a bus trip. Many wandered the little town and spent money to the delight of the shopkeepers. The town was only a block from the wharf and the foot traffic caused mayhem to the local traffic which was banked up around the block on many occasions as pedestrians straggled across the crossing.
I ducked off for a quick look around and to post a couple of cards and later, while on our balcony, I spotted an old caravan in the traffic. Examining the photo later I can make out it is sign written for Summer Essentials, but just what that might be I have no idea. Here it is for what it's worth.
Summer Essentials van - Tauranga.jpg
At Auckland we took a bus trip to the nearby old town of Devonport which was lovely. At one point the driver took us down to a beach and there was a small caravan park adjacent to it with several older style vans in it. As is the trouble with bus tours he wasn't stopping so no photos there.

On the south island our last day ashore was at Port Chalmers (Dunedin) where again we took a tour. Departing the port it is quite a lengthy sail with the Otago Peninsular on the starboard (that's 'nauty' talk for right) and the further from Dunedin it was pretty sparsely settled and the very tip is a reserve as I remember. Just about the last sign of civilisation threw up an derelict old caravan in a paddock so I took a snap. No zoom on this one but it's right in the middle of the photo.
Van Otago Peninsular-c.jpg
I know it's not much for all the time and money but I was on a ship!!

After Dunedin it was three full days sailing to Sydney, via Fiordland and Milford Sound which for me was the highlight. No vans to be spotted ashore there though and this photo shows why.
Milford Sound.jpg
George
reddo

Re: Van spotting from a cruise ship.

Post by reddo »

Hi George

10 points for van spotting from your cruise ship.
From what i have seen on TV docos and read in magazines etc NZ is a great part of the world.
Would love to get over there for the "Burt Munro( Worlds Fastest Indian Fame) Festival of speed".. and the classic bike races .

Never been O/S and have no incling to... but .... I definitely would love to set foot on NZ for a few weeks. Cruises are nice with all the luxuries that go with it... but as you have pointed out... Its a bugger when the tour operators wont / dont stop at those little places and things of interest ( vans / cars) in between the touristy stops.
Best to fly over, hire a car and motel / hotel your way around the islands.
That way ya get to cuddle all the old vans that lurk in the backblocks of the towns and farms.
Nevertheless ... it looks and sounds like you had a great holiday.

Cheers
Reddo
griffin

Re: Van spotting from a cruise ship.

Post by griffin »

Hi Reddo

NZ is a great place, you should put it on your list for a driving holiday. We did four weeks there years ago and I loved it, especially the south island. I thought the roads were great, however, the locals don't seem to think so. Just wish I'd been in something with a few more ergs than the little Toyota we had but I still had a great drive.

I reckon one of the V8 Trikes we saw would be your cup of tea, could even tow a small van. I wanted to take a tour around Akaroa on one, nice winding roads and plenty of hills. 'She who must' wouldn't be in it, mores the pity.
V8 Trike.jpg
I can just see you piloting this beast.
George