Bruce and Carol's 1960s homemade & VW

A Photo History of old Family Caravanning photos or just old photos of caravans.
griffin

Bruce and Carol's 1960s homemade & VW

Post by griffin »

We only stayed for the weekend at the recent Nationals in SWR and ate out each night, partly because I'm not that fond of cooking, but largely because the Astronaut stove wasn't connected!
We partook of Chinese on the Sunday night and as we left a couple were heading in and commented on the Velox and all the other old cars around town. I explained the Caravan Nationals were the reason and it turned out they are keen caravanners, presently with a 13 foot 'modern' Olympic.
As always I asked about photos and it turned out they had some which are included below, including the Olympic.
B1 eucla 1960 001.jpg
B3 on the border 1960 001.jpg
B4 highway driving 1960 001.jpg
B5 001.jpg
B6 the latest van 001.jpg
This information was provided. Interesting to see that over time the van came to match the VW, even with the contrasting flash on the side.

"The van was homemade it was ply on the outside and had a steel square tubing which was visible inside. It had a dinette inside the front door on the left a kitchen in the middle and double bed at the rear. The water tank was portable and was located on the kitchen wall above the sink. We carried it out and filled it at the tap. It was quite heavy and had a tap at the bottom. The cold food was kept in a Esky using ice. Carol and I travelled to all States for period of two years working as an electrician and stenographer. Mackay in Queensland and Perth were our longest stays with various other towns and cities in between. We had a good annexe which severed us well. In 1960 when we started there were very few caravans made and some of the names you see today did not exist . We certainly remember those days early in our marriage and even today we have a small 13 foot Olympic full height van which we love and use often if we are not camping. This information may be of interest and maybe we shall see you again in South West Rocks."

When talking with them Bruce said they had been back to Eucla and the only part of the building visible was a bit of the chimney. If those bowsers were still there it would nearly be worth a dig, but someone else who had been there told me there was only one bowser in later years.

An interesting van and bit of history, wonder what ever became of it, that wasn't discussed. I reckon the Dub did a great job towing all that way too. I'm not a Ford fan but sometimes think an old F100 would be a good thing to tow with these days. Maybe it's just fond memories from my days in the police when we used and abused them - and someone else was picking up the fuel tab!

Thanks to Bruce and Carol at SWR for sharing your good times.

George
DC3TD

Re: Bruce and Carol's 1960s homemade & VW

Post by DC3TD »

Gotta love the dak dak & the home built.Great pics & bet they had some real good times. On a side note,i visited my old boss/mate from 50 years ago last w/e.He`d bought a well known modern van in the last few years.At the time i asked why? ....you`re a coach builder...(used to build custom bodied FX/Js & Fairlane ambulances for Fred Chivers)....build your own.He tells me its the biggest piece of cr@p he`s ever owned. gordo
Richard

Re: Bruce and Carol's 1960s homemade & VW

Post by Richard »

Wow George some great pictures there. I also have some to post of a Supalite being towed by a BUG.
Also love the f100, nearly bought a 4WD model as my first car, wish I did. :roll: :roll:
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.