Gosford Classic Car Museum

griffin

Gosford Classic Car Museum

Post by griffin »

It would seem the NSW Central Coast has become the car museum capital of Australia.
This LINK explains it all.

Combined with the Lost in the Fifties Museum half an hour away at Newcastle these two museums must satisfy the most ardent car fan.

Our club visited yesterday, the second day it was open, and there was plenty of people and lots of interesting cars and bikes to view.

And for our caravan interests visitors are greeted with an Airstream caravan diner just outside the door.
Airstream - Jimmy Gs Diner.JPG
This beast would make a serious tow vehicle if you had some Space Shuttle heat tiles on the front of the van.
Aussie Invader III 1993 front.JPG
An nice EJ in the car park with interesting embellishments.
EJ Holden os - Copy.JPG
And some of what $70 million bucks will buy you.
Ferrari.JPG
Moto Parilla.JPG
Ford row.JPG
GCCM 4 - Copy.JPG
Invicta Black Prince 1949.JPG
Nash Metropolitan - Copy.JPG
Holden.JPG
Triumph Tiger .JPG
Mercedes 320 -1938 - Copy.JPG
And something to buy on the way out, when you realise most of the things inside are out of reach.
GCCM 2 - Copy.JPG
I think I'd be happy to drive away in that Mercedes and I'd certainly be happy with a cheque for what the old Bunnings building cost, the beaut paint on the floor, carpet, individual display stands, cards and number plates for the 400 odd cars and bikes. It's nice to see what can be done when money isn't a constraint.

The entry cost seems reasonable to me, only $12 for an old fart on a Pension Card, but it will take a lot of us to recoupe the outlay so hopefully it is a labour of love.

I might add there were some trucks, military vehicles and a few cars outside as well as what would have been the old garden section also filled with cars, some for sale.

Someone remarked on the lack of drip trays under the British bikes but I notice they all have a nice mat which serves the purpose no doubt, and looks much nicer than a oil in a tray. What didn't they think of?

Certainly somewhere to visit and full marks from me, even though I'm not a fan of a lot of the exotics there.

George
reddo

Re: Gosford Classic Car Museum

Post by reddo »

Hi George
Bro and i have signed up for this years "Rylestone Classic "in his 58 morris major.
The Rylestone classic ( google it) is an annual obseervation rally for early minis ( and other makes at the organisers discretion )and its a 2 day event which leaves Newcastle around 7.00am on the saturday .. heads south this year for a stop at the Gosford motor Museum and collect some other cars.
Its a shame we wont have time to have a look through the museum... will have to put it on my to do list. ( i live 4K from " lost in the fifties and still havent"made it through their doors :oops: )

The rest of the run involves heading off through the top side of Sydney.... then up the windsor putty road.. out to sandy hollow and down through the Bylong valley to Rylestone for the night.. approx 70 cars this year.

There is gunna be some tired Morris's ( and their contents) by sunday night :roll:

Reddo
griffin

Re: Gosford Classic Car Museum

Post by griffin »

Hi Reddo

Just as well the Classic wasn't last weekend then, the Mini would have needed water wings. I'm sure you will enjoy it, at least you don't have to go to work on Monday, or do you??

Certainly put the GCCM on the to do list, and shame on you that you are so close to Lost in the Fifties and haven't been.

At GCCM if you hear an announcement that they are about to 'Feed the Beast' then they will be putting a couple of cupfuls of fuel through the 10l, 6cyl, aero engined DeHavilland Rapide special in the photo below. I was about half way down the shed and didn't join the dash to get near it, there was no need, the sound could be appreciated from where I was!!
De Havilland Rapide.JPG
Interesting that they chose an old Gypsy caravan badge to decorate the radiator.

George