Classic Australian Wooden Power Boat Assoc.

The place to talk about anything not relating to Historic Caravans or Holdens.
Richard

Classic Australian Wooden Power Boat Assoc.

Post by Richard »

I have been contacted by Greg from the Classic Australian Wooden Power Boat association who has a website that is very similar to ourtouringpast.com but obviously on the subject of Wooden Power Boats. Its interesting to note that one of the Power Boats was built in 1957 by the Globe Caravan Company.

Its worth while to click on the link below to have a look.

Classic Australian Wooden Power Boat Assoc
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
reddo

Re: Classic Australian Wooden Power Boat Assoc.

Post by reddo »

Hiya Richard
Great Link to the power boat site..
Wood is good.. 8-)
I have owned and restored 2 old clinker hulled boats.
A bit more "placid" than the old ski boats.
One was a 18ft Houn pine clinker hulled launch with a Blaxland 8 hp 2 stroke twin / dog clutch ... returned 1 litre per hour on 3/4 throttle lake cruising.
"Balls and All" was a great boat it lived on a 2" steam pipe trailer . i always kept it filled with water on the trailer to just below the crankshaft. That kept all the timber swollen so it didnt draw in too much water when slipped into the lake.

The second boat "Numb Nutz" was around 16ft and boasted a brute 4 HP.. simplex single cylinder 2 stroke motor. Had about the same performance as the Blaxland due to being a smaller boat.

There is something about wrapping the leather belt around the big cast flywheel and giving it a big heave to get that familiar "putt, putt, putt " happening. Once you have let her warm up a bit ya slowly feed in the cone clutch and off ya go... I quick twiddle with the mixture srcew on the old brass Schleiber updraft carb and a twitch of the accelerator lever and your set for the next few hours cruising.
Get the half gallon of Port out of the stowage area and pour yourself a tin cup of plonk. Lean back on the tiller and watch the world go by......
The experience is every bit as good as vintage caravanning... except a tad wetter... :lol:

Reddo