Evans Head 2016

This is the place to post a story and photos of your recent getaway in your Historic caravan.
Richard

Evans Head 2016

Post by Richard »

Photos of a recent vintage vanners get together at Evans Head.
With a very big thank you to Stan Rickards for the photos.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg
14.jpg
15.jpg
16.jpg
17.jpg
18.jpg
19.jpg
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
jennison

Re: Evans Head 2016

Post by jennison »

Whose the poor bugger who owned the "collins class" vinny van. Shades of the sussex inlet campsites we had on offer on one of the reddo autumn tours a few years back!!
jenno
reddo

Post by reddo »

Hi Jenno..
Evans Head is a truely great place to spend some holiday time vintage vanning..
1 X RSL
1 X Bowling Club
1 X Hotel
3 X Bottle Shops.
Nice eaterys and coffee shops.
Population of 3100.
About a 9 hour run north of Newcastle. I broke it up into a 2 day run...
Stayed at Urunga van park on Australia Day... Dinner at the Bowlo... as luck would have it i marched in right on Happy 2 hours start time... $3.20 schooners.... needless to say i settled in quite easily. A beaut chinese feed for Dinner... i admit thats not very patriotic on Australia Day... but a very nice feed just the same. Caught up with Stephen ( half of the StephennJulie team) and talked old vans for an hour or so.
I can highly recommend the Silver Sands Caravan Park for a stay if your travelling up or down the coast or looking for somewhere to spend a week or two vintage vanning. A huge camp kitchen... which we all know can be the make or break of a good holiday if the crap weather moves in .

Drove up to Evans Head on the wednesday... very humid but that was offset by scoring the prime camping spot right on the edge of the river , with the cycleway/shared pathway just about running through my annexe....Needless to say it was a perfect location for "Bird Watching".. nudge nudge .. wink wink :shock:

Great weather and good fishing until around 6 on friday arvo when a massive storm rolled through... Just like... stockton.. Coledale... Forster.. South west rocks.. Tathra and any other coastal vint van destination we have had . Didnt last more than half an hour but the park filled up with water fairly quickly.
A lot of high wind damage over at Coriki.. roofs ripped off. A few annexes got overloaded with water but no serious damage in the van park..
Lightning hit the transformer out front of the Bowlo and blacked out the park until late in the evening. I was unfortunate enough to have hold of the door handle on the TD just when the lightning hit the transformer about 1/2 a kilometre away and copped a fairly solid zap... just like a jolt from a spark plug lead........ not life threatening but still livened me up a bit... :lol:

Cath and Rob ( Smiles ) had planned a big BBQ get together over in the shelters on the river... but with all the mayhem , about 50 of us ended up gathering in the Riverside kiosk verandah area and set up 3 portable BBQs.. and partied like there wasnt a problem going on around us. A great night had by all.
Thanks to everyone who weighed in and helped out on the night... you saved what would have otherwise been a very dull wet night in :)

Bit of a mop up saturday morning and then a fine sunny day.

I took pleasure in claiming the win in the inaugural NSW V QLD fishin comp.... but the win was dampened by the thought that i owed Clyde a few dark and stormys for losing our usual state of origin wager.. :cry: ....
Saturday evening we recieved a repeat performance of heavy rain... but nowhere near as bad as friday nights effort.
A great night up at the Bowlo to celebrate Dennis and Sues 40th wedding anniversary... Great venue.. Great meal.. and most importantly... Great mates.
I couldnt get over the size of the Bowlo and the RSL for such a small town !!!.. its a thriving community.The van park would have to be one of the biggest in NSW too.. :?: Big enough to hold a future OTP Rally 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Uneventfull trip home... got 1 Kilometre from home and was pulled up at a roadside breath testing unit.. I passed the test... no worries... but the officer took a special liking to the car and van.. took me half an hour to get away from him.
While he had me bailed up in noticed at least 3 mates that drink at the local drive past. :roll:
I think i might have done them a favour.. ;)

Havent tried loading any photos on photobucket yet..just happy to have the internet and a computer back up and running after major wrangles with Hewlett Packard and Telstra for the past 4 months.

Maybe some photos coming later.
Cheers fa now
Reddo
reddo

Post by reddo »

OK...
Just to show that vintage vanning isnt all beer and skittles , here is a few photos to show ya just what we have to put up with..

However... when the moon and stars...and sun are in alignment, things can be quite pleasant..
Ok... not much of a fish... but enough to silence the vocal Queenslander that constantly reminds me how wanderfull their state of origin team is...It seems as though they are pretty good as a team ... but if ya tackle the toads one on one they can be defeated.. welll... at fishing at least !!!

I left it a bit late to make a booing for the Evans Head weekend and was given a site at the opposite end of the park to the group ( hmmm possiblly organised by the evil toads ??). I protested and was told.. we will move you up with the group if there is a cancellation!!... So you can imagine my joy when i got there and they told me i had been moved into a primo spot.. :shock: ..

Couldnt believe my luck 8-) .... the brilliant weather lasted about 3 days .. bu we all enjoyed the entrire week dispite the storms moving in late friday arvo.
Cant wait for South West rocks... bring it on !!

Reddo