Olympic Caravans - Pre fiberglass

A History of Caravan Manufacturers in Australia.
griffin

Olympic Caravans - Pre fiberglass

Post by griffin »

Olympic Caravans.
3397 Pacific Highway Springwood. Queensland

In 1927 Walter John Dimmack and his Uncle produced one of the first motorised caravans in Australia, which was built on the back of a Model T Ford.
Walter Dimmack then went on to work for the Brewer Racquet Company who in 1939 produced the first travelling showroom caravan, built for Mr R.O.Cummings, a professional tennis champion. Also that year the brewer company produced a caravan with slide in boat on the floor. which won the caravan award in the motor show of that year.
Following his return from war service, Mr Dimmack founded the present company and commenced producing bond wood and aluminium caravans in Queensland. in 1965 the company turned to the production of fibre glass caravans, a which material they considered far superior

The above information is copied from Richard's original post in regard to Olympic Caravans. I thought it might make a 'cleaner' post if the pre fiber glass era vans were kept separate.

While at Cowra recently I called into have a quick look at the Fun Museums on the outskirts of town, a must for anyone interested in collections especially if you are into WWII German military, railways or tractors, the main part of the collection, but there is a host of other stuff there as well.
The owner also owns the caravan business next door, Caravan City Cowra. On this occasion they had an Olympic aluminium, 15 foot, 1964 Sovereign (details from its sale notice) which is the first time I've seen an Al Olympic. I didn't have a look inside but took a quick picture, it was in a car port so couldn't get good access. It looked well used, and the asking price was a rather unusually precise amount of $9077.14.
Nice cast Al Olympic badge on the front.
Olympic al badge-c.JPG
Olympic Sovereign-c.JPG
George
Richard

Re: Oylmpic Caravans - Pre fiberglass

Post by Richard »

Another early Olympic aluminium caravan which was posted on facebook by Karen and Geoff.
With the van found on a property in Queensland.
Olympic 1.jpg
Olympic 2.jpg
Olympic 3.jpg
Olympic 4.jpg
Olympic 5.jpg
Olympic 6.jpg
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
Stephen4Julie

Post by Stephen4Julie »

Spent the weekend recovering this van with little work and a bit of elbow grease home she comes with out any hassles

Cheers S4J
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi S4J
WOW there is no way that I thought this van would have been able to be towed home. It just goes to show how photos and a little moss can be deceiving. Great work on the recovery and will come up a treat restored. :D :D
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.