MK!11 Billycart.

The place to talk about anything not relating to Historic Caravans or Holdens.
reddo

MK!11 Billycart.

Post by reddo »

Hi Guys

After a successfull campaign at Coledale and other venues the "Reddo MK1 " Finally met its match at last years Holmesville Hotel Billy Cart Derby.
We made it through two heats and into the semis ... where .. after getting a bad start off the ramp... ( yes this is possible in billycart racing) I was beaten by something that would best be described as combination of fruit boxes. milk crates and a few planks.

After much sulking I went and had a look at what made this.,.....this... this THING .. so quick.
No hidden motors .. no wound up rubber bands...
All that I could see was Large wheels.. 26" as opposed to my punie 14 inch efforts.

So... with the recent announcement that the derby will be run again this year I have decided to start afresh.... with a complete new cart... complete with 26 inch wheels !!!

And so the Shed of Invention was dusted out and made ready for the assault.
I drove around the local garbo pick up junk mounds and scored to mountain bikes with suspension...
Thinks maybe I can use the odds and gadgets that make the suspenion work on my cart.

So... first up... work out how to marry the two bikes together..
A cross brace..

Then a couple more cross braces ..

fit two trotting gig wheels and then pull the front end out

sort out some steering and refit the handlebars with all four brake levers in the middle of the contraption.

..and make a sprung seat

Early road tests have shown up a problem with a few degrees too much toe in. Given that the tie rods are not adjustable I am gunna havta pay a bit more attention and redrill some new rods ...
Once I have that sorted it will be time to set about building an aerodynamic shell to fit over the whole dung mound. ..
There will be no sooking or sulking at this years Derby.. :lol:
More pix as developments are made.
Regards
Reddo
DC3TD

Re: MK!11 Billycart.

Post by DC3TD »

MyPix 209i.jpg
MyPix 209i.jpg (114.5 KiB) Viewed 1068 times
Built this grunge quadcycle which allows for two more people facing rear. Still sitting out the back.Oh,26" wheels too. Must say though i like the comfort seat on yours Reddo.
CIMG0001.JPG
CIMG0001.JPG (259.42 KiB) Viewed 1067 times
And currently this 9`stretch cargo/chopper combo i`m working on. gordo
OlFarts

Post by OlFarts »

Looks like the gauntlet has been thrown down BIG time :o :o :o

Dave.
reddo

Post by reddo »

:shock:

aaaaahhhh Gordo.. a man after my own heart.... Glad to see someone else has twisted dreams. :lol:

The rules are ....only one driver seat, no passenger seat (s). must have adequate brakes :roll: . no less than 400mm wide. a wheel base between 900 and 1500mm . steering limited to less than 45 degrees either way. Made of lightweight materials... haven't quite defined lightweight yet. But I reckon if I can pick it up .. well then its light weight.

:idea: Might fit a few bungs up near the headstock so I can fill the frame with water :?:

From what I can make out ... unlike other forms of racing where lighten and simplify is the go .
In billycart racing.....extra weight helps...
Get it through scrutineering then take it around the back of the pub and fill the frame full of water ... he, he, he.... sssssshhh ... no dobbing in OK :evil:

C'mon Dave... show us wot ya got :?:

Regards
Reddo
DC3TD

Post by DC3TD »

Fill it with water Reddo? Fine if you like your scotch watered down!Beer might be the go though.Gotta hydrate the body.Off road of course.Don`t wanna upset the blue cap lads.Already yours has a great look about it & i hope you`ll have some thigh protectors as the last thing you want is tyre burn.
reddo

Post by reddo »

Progress .. everyone likes progress..
Me too...
Got the nose done...even managed a windscreen..

OK ... the first one to say it looks like a VW Beetle bonnet gets punched...
But hey... its sure looks similar doesn't it....Even got it registered in California :shock:
Moved on to marking out .. cutting and rough fitting the sides...
Okay Okay... I know it looks like a Noddy car ... or a Velocette LE ...

But ya gotta stop making comparisons with things that go slow... :oops:

Gunna finish refining the shape an paint it up to look like a Harley Roadking...
ooops there I go again .. comparing it with something slow..

Austin A40!!!!!! Doh.. I told ya to knock it off... :evil:

Its all good... slow .. but good.. The Bullshit stops when the flag drops in October at the derby.. 8-)

Reddo
DC3TD

Post by DC3TD »

That is just totally ....rad. Thats the word. What else can i say. gordo
OlFarts

Post by OlFarts »

Can I buy a stage 3 Redd-O-Tel kit from Redd-O-Tell yet ??

Dave