Airvan

A History of Caravan Manufacturers in Australia.
Richard

Airvan

Post by Richard »

The following information was supplied by Larry Lyford from Harvey Bay Qld.

AIRVAN , built at Bankstown airport , in the 50s 60s by the senior licensed airframe mechanic Ray Pugh at Fawcett Aviation as a prototype of a series to be called Airvans, entirely built from new aircraft grade aluminum panels, spars and struts from war surplus parts originally destined for the repair of Spitfires and other war birds, with the aircraft parts being sourced from Morleys who had a warehouse full of Airforce surplus stock. The van is 99% aluminum including the chassis, which would do credit to a B52 undercarriage.
The aluminum floor is riveted to the chassis, van is riveted - double skinned, roof is also double skinned with insulation, the internal aluminum furniture - wardrobe, bed, cook top sink unit and roof lockers, are integral with the body for extra strength, the aircraft windows are thought to be from a Dakota, DC3.that made a heavy landing at Bankstown and was dismantled for parts.
I was chief ARB inspector for Dept of Defence contracts in the same hanger and had daily contact with Ray Pugh. Due to high costs of building the van, it was never mass produced, Ray eventually ended up with the van and brought it to Hervey Bay when he retired. Sadly , he died in the 80's. I also retired to Hervey Bay and bought the van from a sale , having recognized it.
It is very strong, light weight and can easily be towed by a Austin Seven, or Mini , I can even tow it with my 120cc quad bike! The van was wired for a basic 240v mains supply , one light three power points, no provision for a stove other than a camping stove, space under the sink for a fridge, it has a double bed, and the dining area seats make up as a single bed.
An outside hatch allows for stowage of tents and camping gear under the double bed , in the photos you will see a black open top box , that is the storage area under the bed , also accessible from outside as just mentioned above .
The roof hatch is cleverly designed to open at front or back or straight up , it's a good size too , plenty of ventilation there. Dimensions of the van are :- 6' wide , 11' long , tow bar 2' 3" , total length 13' 3" .
There are two small unlined areas one above the door exposing the curved leading edge of wing rib possibly spitfire ( see photos ) , the other a flat panel behind a seat, I can only assume these were left to show frame construction details.

Airvan 1.jpg
Airvan 2.jpg
Airvan 3.jpg
Airvan 4.jpg
Airvan 5.jpg
Airvan 6.jpg
Airvan 7.jpg
Airvan 8.jpg
Airvan 9.jpg
Ray Pugh, builder of the Airvan.
Airvan RayPugh.jpg
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.