Caravan Articles

A History of Caravan Manufacturers in Australia.
Richard

Caravan Articles

Post by Richard »

A interesting 1958 article on caravan weights as stated by the manufactures of the times. Unknown author.

Keeping in mind that 1 cwt. is about 52 kgs.
Caravan Weights.jpg
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
griffin

Re: Caravan Articles

Post by griffin »

This general article on caravan sizes might be of interest, at least is shows things largely the way they were, small pommy cars towing vans, not big yank tanks or hot rods. Nice caravan too whatever it is.

A bit of experimenting to stitch the two pages together so hopefully it is ok to read.
Cars Oct 1954 p62-c.jpg
George
Richard

Post by Richard »

A very interesting 1962 7 page magazine article on vintage caravanning, with the article featuring a Carapark Zestline 12/9 and a Fleetwind caravan.
M1 e.jpg
M2 e.jpg
M3 e.jpg
M4 e.jpg
Richard

Post by Richard »

The last three pages of the article above.
M5 e.jpg
M6 e.jpg
M7 e.jpg
Richard

Post by Richard »

A Caravan World article on a very unique Fold Van. Also mentions a need for a National Caravan Museum. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Fold Van.jpg
jennison

Post by jennison »

I think you need to contact Mr Petifer and caravan world and set them straight Richard re National caravan museums!!!
jenno
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi Jenno.
Thanks for the encouragement. I am slowly chipping away and it all takes time but we are slowly getting the recognition for the hard work that we put into it, but we are also thankful for those that contribute to the forum as well. :D :D
griffin

Post by griffin »

These couple of pages are probably still relevant, just the numbers have changed very considerably.

The photos show scenes none of us would wish to replicate I'm sure. The first one is a neat balancing act, probably necessitating a change of undies! The one on the second page is particularly sad, dolly wheels didn't save it from its fate and the photo seems to show the shell rather unceremoniously dumped upside down on the frame.
1 - Aus Motor Manual Feb 1969.jpg
2 - Aus Motor Manual Feb 1969.jpg
George
Richard

Post by Richard »

Well George.
I can see the problem in the photo above. They've built the caravan upside down on the chassis. :lol: :lol: :lol: LOL
I also noticed that this one was using what looks like a Henderson dolly wheel, Ray Bartlet from the Jones Dolly Wheel would say "They should have fitted a Jones Dolly wheel". :D :D It was also interesting to see Rays reaction when I showed him my half scale Hayman Reece hitch, as this was one of the reasons that the Jones Dolly Wheel was fazed out.