Vauxhall Velox & van - RAC magazine cover.

General discussion about the topic of historic caravans.
griffin

Vauxhall Velox & van - RAC magazine cover.

Post by griffin »

I was recently loaned the Nov. 1955 issue of the RAC magazine, "The Royalauto", for obvious reasons given my interest in Vauxhalls and old caravans. It is a very interesting magazine, and it's the first time I've ever seen an issue, being in NRMA territory. The cover information given doesn't say where the shot was taken, or what the van is, but it does say the outfit belonged to Mr. Gordon Harper, of the R.A.C.V Caravan Club.
Royalauto 1-c.jpg
The print quality is pretty poor, but its a nice matching outfit, anybody hazard a guess as to the type of van?
We now have this model Vauxhall in the collection, the convertible Vagabond, but there is no way I'd be hooking it up to either of our vans, as nice as it would look on the bondwood, maybe a pretend photo for the sake of it when I can get organised.
And an enlarged and 'tarted up' version.
Royalauto 2-c.jpg
George
Richard

Re: Vauxhall Velox & van - RAC magazine cover.

Post by Richard »

Hi George.
WOW what a great cover shot. The caravan is very similar to the Glen caravan I restored, although it doesnt have the wind up windows that the Glen had. And believe me I would know that style anywhere as I spent enough time working on it. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers.
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
sportsman1

Post by sportsman1 »

Hey George,

why no hook up the van to the Vagabond??????????????????????????????

Are only Victorians (or fools) allowed to do such a thing?
griffin

Post by griffin »

No tow bar for the Vagabond Leigh, even though there was one in the shed when I picked it up I resisted the temptation. I'm happy to let the PAX do the towing. If I ever get to trade the big bondwood for a smaller one the Vagabond might get a consideration. Don't have to be crazy - but it helps!

Meanwhile here's another E Velox on towing duty with a van from The Vauxhall Motorist in 1956.
1956-7 & 8 c.jpg
George