Caravan Insurance

General discussion about the topic of historic caravans.
DC3TD

Caravan Insurance

Post by DC3TD »

Always a tricky subject & situation for any number of reasons so with that in mind i spoke to fellow motor industry figure about it & he has pointed out that he welcomes any forum members queries.Being totally conversant with Vintage/Classic/Hot Rod insurances the company he is connected with - Ryno Insurance - he feels sure he can get a good deal for forum members & notes that queries concerning vintage caravan write off/contents insurance/availability of parts requiring remaking /period tow vehicle or none etc differ from one company to another.
Speak directly with Barry from RYNO on 0466 350 728 preferably after normal work hours as quite hectic during the day.
Last edited by DC3TD on Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DC3TD

Re: Caravan Insurance

Post by DC3TD »

Having discussed further with the man with all the answers from RYNO you can now speak directly with him:
Barry 0466 350 728. Preferably outside business hours as his normal work hours are pretty hectic.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi Gordon.
Thanks for letting us know about the RYNO caravan insurance, insurance is always a bit of a nightmare with people not being covered for "touring" and only covered for showing only.
Cheers.
Richard.
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
reddo

Post by reddo »

Hiya Gordon
Thanks for the Insurance info.

The issue I have with all the comments and experiences I have read elsewhere and through my own enquires re this subject ..
Is that I cannot get ANY of the companys to give me a Product Disclosure Statement that clearly sets out what the company will and will not pay for in relation to damage / total loss of a vintage caravan and or its contents...?

I have rang a few different companies on several occasions and each time I get to talk to a very helpful office person who is usually understanding to us Vintage caravanners needs and concerns.

They all seem keen enough to help out .. but I seriously doubt any of them have a grasp on what is involved in say... supplying a Leadlight window for a Don that the kids next door smashed with a "six stitcher" when playing back yard cricket!!
When push comes to shove they usually drop the ball ( pardon the pun) back in your court ( ooops there I go again).

A few years back I was unfortunatre enough to get side swiped in the FB panno..
Yes sir mister Redman.. we will cover costs to straighten out your car... now run along and find a New Old Stock Left Rear Quarter Panel for a 1960 Holden panelvan :shock:
I was arsey enough to score one for the panelbeater... $1300. But what if I hadn't??
Or
What if I was someone that just had a love of old cars and didn't know where to turn next to source a panel??...

Back to old van insurance /repair work ...Who are you going to find to bend all those curved bits of timber if your van gets smacked up the bum by a errant driver ??
Not only are the parts unprocurable .. So is the skills required to repair the van.. well.. almost unprocurable.

After 10 years messing with these old darlings I am unaware of anyone that has had to make a major claim against their insurance Co for repairs to their van.?? Sure.. there have been minor claims like a cracked window etc and the claimer has had a warm and fuzzy experience.. but I am unaware of anyone who has actually had a major claim.. and have had a trouble free experience.

Bottom line is..
If the insurance Co can't provide you with a detailed comprehensive policy that specifically sets out word for word and in specifically states total coverage for a vintage van and its contents when in use or when stored.. or when on a run.. or on display..
Well then I wouldn't bother handing over my dosh...
If the preverbial hits the fan and your pride and joy gets smashed up .. You are more than likely going to be very disappointed when you get told .. Sorry .. your not covered .
So...What to do??
Insure the thing 3rd party so you are covered if the old wobbly box steps off the towball and carves a trail of destruction through someones front yard.
They get their repairs done and you get to drag home next seasons firewood !!

Yup.. I know I am gunna get carved up by the true believers in our insurance systems...
I guess I will just have to wait and see what happens when someone turns up on their insurance Co's doorstep with a tale of Woe.. or should that read.. didn't "whoa" in time :oops:
I will get to say.."I told ya so.. or.. I will get to eat my words".

Don't take words spoken on the other end of a phone by an insurance rep as being gospel.
Get em to send you a policy and run the comb through it over and over... ask lots of questions ...
and then.. ask more questions. 8-)
Good Luck

Reddo
DC3TD

Post by DC3TD »

You can now meet & greet the man from RYNO (Barry) this Sunday at the Liverpool Catholic Club where you`ll find him amongst & part of the Cool Cruisers Car Show.