Windowless FJ Panelvan

Interesting information and photos of the legendary FX and FJ Holdens.
Richard

Windowless FJ Panelvan

Post by Richard »

I am looking into replacing the side panels on the FJ panelvan with these ones that Adam from Resto Rod and Race in Tassie makes.
Has anyone used these before and are there any pitfalls or things to watch out for.
FJ Sides.jpg
Oh and here is a shot of the panelvan.
FJ.jpg
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
humpyboy

Re: Windowless FJ Panelvan

Post by humpyboy »

Hi Richard, myself and a few other mates have bought panels from Adam and his work is impeccable you do not need to worry about whether they fit or not because they will, if you buy these panels all you need to do is let him know what style of vent you have in your van (look at the inside to see if they include the curve at the top) as for the fitting (welding in) I would seek the assistance of a professional as they will warp and go all over the place if you try yourself, a good panel shop will do it and you wouldn't even know there were ever any windows there.
If you get an email telling you that you can catch Swine Flu from tins of ham then delete it, it's Spam.
DC3TD

Post by DC3TD »

Forgive my impertenance Richard but why do you want to change to fill-in panels?
Isn`t the p/van original as it stands now? gordon
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi Gordon.
The panelvan would originally have had solid side panels, the original owner cut in the 4 side windows as he used it as a mobile workshop to repair sewing machines and to make it more driver friendly. He also used the tailgate as a work bench so the windows would have let more light in also.

Here is an original one even similar in colour .
FJ Van.JPG
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
DC3TD

Post by DC3TD »

Gday Richard. Well there you have it.Ha. I`d always thought that the windowed ones i`d seen through the years or at least some were original. gordon
griffin

Post by griffin »

I'll bet the one in the last photo belonged to a plumber, look at the great roof rack and rear bumper.

George