CHANGE!!!!!

The place to talk about anything not relating to Historic Caravans or Holdens.
griffin

CHANGE!!!!!

Post by griffin »

I've been off the air a bit since ouR trip to South West Rocks and beyond, largely due to a malfunctioning computer after I got home. In the end I bit the bullet and bought a newie from the local computer shop, the only place I could get one without the dreaded Windows 8 that everyone warned me to keep clear of ;) So I've been playing with the my new computer with Windows 7 and must say I love the speed of it, and never really realised how slow the old dinosaur was, I used to turn it on and go and make a coffee so it could get going :roll:
While the computer guy said Windows 7 was like XP everything had CHANGED. Why do they have to mess with things that are perfectly fine, in my view. I'd done lots of courses about XP when I was working and could fly it pretty well I thought. So after weeks of messing about I think I've found how to do many of the things I used to, but those CHANGES meant the new computer wouldn't talk to two of my old printers and after some thinking about it a third has been accepted, and the scanner/printer/card reader has also been graced, but now, due to CHANGES the way to work it is totally different and I'm struggling to get it to do what it used to :oops:
The biggest problem, due to CHANGES, is that the last 8 or so years of my photographic life are on an external hard drive, and guess what? The new computer won't talk to it!! The old computer still functions, at times, so the solution was to transfer the photo files via a USB stick, except the new computer won't talk to half of mine and the beaut new 64gb one I'd not used will let the new computer talk to it, but not the old one! :evil: . It seems it was just as well I had grey hair at the start, it will be white by the time I get sorted.
So a slow process of transferring, via a mutually acceptable USB stick began, until the old computer didn't want to talk to ME :x In a flap I succumbed and called the Geeks2U, rather than lug a trailer full of bits to the local computer shop, gladly putting this fortnights pension payment back into the system to earn some more taxes to keep the pension going ;)
The friendly Geek got things sorted as best he could, but due to CHANGES I now need a new external hard drive that is both XP and 7 friendly so I can load all my stuff from the old one and start again on the new :roll:
With continual CHANGES though I just wonder if this electronic stuff is what it's cracked up to be :shock: Here I am with CDs loaded with photos, and I found lots of new computers have CHANGED and don't take them, a hard drive full of photos that new computers won't read because their brains have CHANGED, and USB sticks with photos, ditto! What about using the cloud I asked? The Geek thinks that is a passing phase too that may not last and reckons to stick to USBs :|
I can only hope I don't have to go through another CHANGE in life with computers, I don't think I could stand it :cry: :cry: :cry:
And while he was at it the Geek CHANGED a few things on the new computer to help make it easier for me, I sure hope he knew what he was doing :geek:
So, tomorrow will find me shopping for a new external hard drive and hopefully getting all my photos accessible on the new machine, that's right, it is a machine, and man made them, shouldn't I be the master :idea: :?: :!:
Hopefully I've mastered the CHANGED scanner programme enough to get some stuff posted again soon, I just love CHANGE - NOT :roll: :roll:

Grumpy old George!!
reddo

Re: CHANGE!!!!!

Post by reddo »

Hiya George
I am feeling your pain..... well at least I was about this time last year when I went and bought a new computer with Windows 7 and monitor.
I am a reasonably patient man and set about working my way through the CHANGES :evil:

Constantly saying "why have I got to go through 3 seperate steps to achieve what I did in one on the old Windows.??
Fortunately most of the stuff like photos and documents on the old windows came across to the new computer when I got my Geekmate to come over and get things up and running.
Managed to find my way around where to find files that had disappeared into different drives etc etc.

Something that amazed me was the fact that Windows 7 doesn't come with Microsoft Office..
No Word/Excel/that's sort of thing.... :roll: :roll: :evil: .
So... when I got forced into the role of Bike club secretary I was getting frustrated with trying to do documents and keep files on club members .. runs and events using "Word pad" or "Notepad".. which is on par with something a 5 year old would use to type a basic paragraph.
So.... take credit card along to geekshop and buy Microsoft Office ... Kaching $126.
just another forced upgrade because I thought buying a new computer and software would solve some of my earlier headaches.. well... I did... but it created just as many 2014 headaches as the previous stuff I was running.... but Hey,.... at least I can now do spreadsheets... type up a decent events calendar etc for the club.
Initially I thought about asking the club to pay for the" Club Office Upgrade"... but I am so much happier having a system that works and is reasonably fast ( all except for old mother Telstra on occasions)

I sometimes wander if the software manufacturers employ people fresh out of uni to come up with new packages just to mess up us old farts minds....... and frustrate the crap out of us :lol: .

Just leaves you wandering .....WHY

Reddo
Strugglebrook

Post by Strugglebrook »

G`day George and Reddo, when I lived in Port Hedland in about 2002 our biggest company whom I was working for at the time did a software change over which caused the biggest Cluster I have ever seen and they threw millions at it. Still waiting for the Y2K bug to arrive .
The only advice I can give if someone comes up to you and tells you they are an "expert " run a mile.
Just hang in there we are all in the same boat. :roll: :roll:
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi George.
Look at it this way. By the time you have soughted out all of your problems with this GHANGE it will be time to upgrade the computer again. And next time you will know exactly what you are doing. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
DC3TD

Post by DC3TD »

Hi guys. I`m using a 10 or 12 yo Dell hooked to a 22" (diagonal) AOC monitor.The system is Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002/Service pack 3. I had issues when Security Essentials was disbanded & a couple of gremlins didnt help either.I paid 70 bucks a month just to be online.No landline/mobile etc.When i couldnt rid the gremlins i ran the big pond techs - got the Philipines! Hmm.your modem is outdated.Motorola youre using isnt up to speed.If you pay a 15 buck a month premium or Platinum as they call it you get in home service/remote service whereby they with your permission take over your computer as you watch them go thru the battlefield/advice 24/7.OK so thats 85 bucks a month just for the computer.Bugger.Ok go ahead.So couple days later techy arrives.Checks the modem.No problem.Old but as good as a new one - 30.75 bits per sec download. 1.13 mbps upload. 9 miliseconds ping.
So far its all good but any time i need help the techy arrives the same day & sorts it out. gordon
griffin

Post by griffin »

Thanks guys,

I know I'm not alone, but it's still frustrating.

With a new external hard drive and USB stick in hand today I headed home to fire up the old computer and start the process of CHANGE. No way, the old computer just sits there with a black screen and refuses to talk to me :evil: :evil: It's lucky I haven't taken to it with an axe. If it refuses to go I'll have to find a neighbour to use his XP machine to transfer the data between hard drives.

And Reddo, I too was surprised when doing the rounds shopping that they come with nothing. What a scam, "but computers are so cheap these days sir." I likened it to buying a car with only one front wheel and one back, it won't drive or steer properly, what's the good of it :?: Oddly they just couldn't see the analogy, just more CHANGES we have to get over I guess, no wonder Microsoft is one of the worlds richest companies :!:

The CHANGES are not just in the electronic world either though. I went mad before South West Rocks and put a new set of 13" tyres on the Olympic. A few phone calls to the various tyre shops, all recommended the same 165 x 13 light truck tyre, all the same price, as replacements for the old Olympic Trojans that were fitted. Off to the nearest shop and when I got them home I thought they looked a little small, so out with the tape to find the old ones were 27" diameter, the new ones only 23" :!: Rang the shop and explained and asked if made a difference to the ball loading etc and while he didn't know he rang back and said it would and that 185 might be better, which put the diameter up to 24.5" :roll: So on they went and they seem to be ok and it seemed to tow ok, but I'm none the wiser just what difference the CHANGE in diameter has had, if any. I put new tyres on the old bondwood before Broken Hill, but the old and new 16" tyres were the same size.

And while on the subject of CHANGE, why are tyres, and many other things, still in imperial units after we CHANGED to metric so long ago :?:

Still grumpy,
George