Vintage vanning in the snowys . 2014

reddo

Vintage vanning in the snowys . 2014

Post by reddo »

Hi All

I am currently putting together a rough itenary for a week long vintage caravanning tour of the Snowy Mountains...Starting on Anzac Day and running through to the following Thursday.
Probably make the first staging point either Cooma or Jindabyne for Anzac day evening .. at one of the van parks.
Then head south on the Saturday ... that's about all I have to offer at the moment until I find my old snowy mountains/vic road maps... .. hopeless at googling large area maps.

To save a bit of back tracking it would be easier for anyone from Vic to catch up with us at the Saturday evening campsite.. again it all depends on which route the vics take to come up to the snowys.. might turn out to be easier to head straight to cooma and roll on from there..

Sorry for sounding a bit vague at the moment.. but trust me... it will happen... and it will be fun... abiet.. a little cool...... not totally winter weather in April/May but cooler than in front of the fire at home...
Stay tuned..
More later.

Regards
Reddo
Richard

Re: Vintage vanning in the snowys . 2014

Post by Richard »

Hey Reddo.
Wow the trip sounds like a great idea.
Its a shame that Linda Joshua and I have booked into the vintage caravan national at Broken Hill. Otherwise we would be going on your trip. :D :D :D

For anyone contemplating going on Reddos trip I can fully recommend that you will have a great time with great people, maybe a beer or two and guaranteed to have a laugh.

Cheers.
Richard.
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
reddo

Post by reddo »

Hi Richard...
Plenty of time to reconsider re Broken Hill of the snowys for april 2014.
Here is a rough itenary for the tour...

Day 1.Friday .
Anzac Day 2014
. Travel from (your) home to Cooma - Snowy Mts tourist park

Day 2 .. Saturday...
Vans "unplugged" a day off driving.. a chance to scout around Cooma/Jinabyne/ thredbo/perisher etc.....stock up on tucker for the next few days .

Day 3.. Sunday....
Cooma to Jingellic .. via Cabramurra / Tumbarumba/ Elliots way
/ Tooma rd/ Linden Roth Drive
217km - 3.5 Hrs
Free Camp on banks of Murray River down below the Bridge Hotel Jingellic.

Day 4...Monday
. Jingellic to Bright .. via Tallangatta/ Yackandandah / Myrtleford
217km - 2.75 Hrs
Bright Riverside Holiday Park

Day 5 ...Tuesday
Bright to Corryong via Omeo (lunch)
248K - 4.5hrs
Colac Colac Caravan Park - 1994 Murray Valley Hwy

Day 6 .. Wednesday
Corryong.. back through Khancoban /Thredbo /Jindabyne and on to.....??
To be continued .. Not sure which way to start heading home yet.
Maybe stay at Jindabyne for the night or..
Maybe overnight Tumut or Head up to Canberra/Queanbyan for the night??

Day 7 ...Thursday.. head home. Load bike .. pack fresh undies and helmet
Days 8/9/10 Nundle bike rally..
Lifes Good ;)

Would be nice to get a bit of feedback on any good.. or bad experiences at the spots I have roughed in for o/night stays.
If ya know of better spots in or near the towns I have picked then please let us know..
or... maybe it would be better to do the trip anti clockwise instead of clockwise... ::) ??? so the loop finishes off closer to the Hume Hwy??

anyway... that'll do for now..
I am sure the details will get "polished" well before the trip.

Cheers fa now
Reddo
reddo

Post by reddo »

Howdy all..
Just a quick update on the snowys tour. We now have 8 vans booked in at Cooma on Anzac Day Friday.
Jingellic free camp sunday
Porepunkah van park Monday
Colac colac van park tuesday
...............Still pondering which direction to head in after we leave Coolac Coolac caravan park on the Tuesday.
Two plans of attack at the moment.
Might find our way over to the coast via Browns mountain down to the south coast or the Kings Hwy down to Nelligen.
Or up through Tumut to Yass. ;)

Will keep you updated.
Cheers fa now.
Reddo
reddo

Post by reddo »

Hi All
Just an update on the snowys tour..
Might be someone... :roll: .. who is still in "cant make up my mind " mode.
After 2 days at Colac we head down along the murray following the flow to Howlong.. near Corowa for the thursday night stop.
Friday its up through Wagga to Junee for a night.
Up on saturday morning for a casual roll up to Cowra..
Get up sunday.. wave hooray to the tourists and each head our separate ways home.

We have 11 vans staying at Cooma for 2 nights and then...7 vans on the road for another week.
No being herded from one venue to another or prebooked anything.. you run your own race at your own pace.
By late arvo we will all be settled in at that days camp.. and then the fun begins.

Hope a few more can make the trip...If you cant be with us ... well then I wish you a safe trip to "Wherever" you may be going at that time of year.

Stay safe, stay cool, stay happy.
Regards
Reddo
reddo

Post by reddo »

Well folks the 2014 "Tour de alps" has been run and .. won by everyone that attended .. days upon days of near oerfect weather and coolish.. but not cold nights.. here is a few happy snaps of the trip..
A few of us a planning another Autumn tour around Anzac Day next year .. It will be up around the Sunshine Coast Hinterland and spread over at least 7 days.. Here is a few hppay snaps to wet your appertite..
Cooma park for 2 nights.. camp ovens,, a roaring fire .. lots of beers with lots of mates.
Up throughAdaminaby to Cabramurra for lunch on day 3..
Then down into a great free camp for the night at Jingellic on the banks of the mighty Murray
From here we rocked over to Porepunkah bridge park for the night... once again .. absolute river frontage..
Next day we headed over to Bright and then up Mt Hotham through a pea soup fog .

Down to Omeo then over to "Click Clack ".. Corryong Caravan park for our next stay
and .. you guessed it .. another river side site..
The colours and the countryside down through here at this time of year is econd to none.. we really do live in a lucky country.
Lunch on day 5 was at Cudgi pub.. what a great meal served up by a really friendly publican and his missus..
Then back to camp.. stoke up the fire and bung in the camp oven. Barbs stew was absolutely bewt and Kris followed it up with a nice desert ... yummo..

did I mention the scenery down herer.. just stare into this next picture for a while and think about the next tour..
Clyde and Barbs little Fugly expanda van is a work of art..
.. from Colac we headed across to Howlong.. Ok the landscape isn't quite as breath taking... but the site across from the van park sure dragged us in..

Last night together as a group so we headed up to the Howlong golf Club for a Chinese meal. What a great night. Nice to sit down to a big meal without having to prepare anything.
Next day we waved good bye to the Kyabees and Brendo and stacey as they headed for Vic. The rest of us 5 headed for Junee
Had a look around the Junee railway roundhouse .. impressive
a cold night but we where warmed by the sight of Australia beating NZ in the Anzac day test. 5 of us in a camp kitchen cheering the green and gold on to victory.

Woke next morning to rain .. cold.. no.. very cold.. we headed for Rylstone while Jennison and Chippydave headed home.

A cold wet run up through Sofala .. needed a strong drink of Port so I dropped into the local ..

Caught up with the sutcacs at Rylestone van park.. by now it was snowing in Bathurst .. very cold at Rylstone.. 2 beers at the local then home into bed .. Woke next morning to find Clyde doing somne repairs on old Fugly.. bed collapse in the dead of night..

We made a dash for Pam and Johns place as the weather improved. Arrived at Muswellbrook just in time for a nice lunch with John and Pam.. followed by a tour of their sheds.. lots of goodies and a couple of old vans ..
We said our goodbyes and went our separate ways home... all vowing that we would be starters on the 2015.. 2016.. 2017 tours..
You betcha..
Reddo
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi Reddo.
Thanks so much for taking the time to show us what a great time you all had on the Snowy run.
Sure beats sitting in a park for a week, AY! ;) ;) ;)
Hope fully Linda Joshua and I can make it to the next reddo organised caravan week away.
Cheers.
Richard.
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
griffin

Post by griffin »

Looks like a good trip and great time had by all, pity one can't be in two places at once, maybe next time.

George