1958 Caravan article written by Eric Baume.

griffin

1958 Caravan article written by Eric Baume.

Post by griffin »

While looking for something in my 'library' the other day I found a little magazine filed among my maps :o , and when I looked at it I realised it had a nice beach scene of a family caravan outing. I've had the magazine among my collection for years, it was among some magazines of my dads, and for some reason I kept it in the clean up after his death. Quite why I don't recall now, latent caravanitis, but I'm glad I did.
D of D 1 May 1958-c.jpg

I thumbed through looking for info about the cover and found nothing so then looked again to see if there was something about caravans, nothing obvious, but after looking through the articles more closely I found the feature item was about caravanning.

The magazine is a small format item, 'Digest of Digests' which is about the same size as a Reader's Digest, and the particular issue is May 1958. For anyone who takes the time to read it all I think you will find it an interesting insight into caravanning at the time in Australia, I was surprised that, according to the article, provision of power in caravan parks was still rare at that time. There is mention about several specially built vans, with mention of the owners by name, I wonder where some of them finished up? The one with the full size piano installed sounds a bit over the top :!: or taking a sock knitting machine to ensure a cash flow during a trip :idea:

It was a different, simpler world, with far less expectation, reflected in the cover illustration of a simple van with lovely window awnings, dad neatly dressed and attending to a bbq over a simple grate with mum watching from the portable picnic table as the young daughter plays with lip stick and a mirror. Today's version, in my mind, would see dad with big Weber set up on the draw bar of a big featureless van, located not even within sight of the sand, mum inside in the air con, and the daughter's face glued to an ipad!

Some of you will remember the author, Eric Baume, a somewhat debonair gent (illustrated) who hosted the TV show 'Beauty and the Beast' in the early days.
D of D 2 - May 1958-c.jpg
D of D 3 - May 1958-c.jpg
D of D 4 - May 1958-c.jpg
D of D 5  - May 1958-c.jpg
Enjoy

George