Graham and Merrins Rowvan

Photos and Information on Members Caravans. This a great place to introduce yourself.
Richard

Graham and Merrins Rowvan

Post by Richard »

I recieved an email from Graham and Merrin form South Australia last week enquiring about a little caravan thay have just purchased. They had done a bit of research and thought that it could be a Rowvan, but wasnt sure.

It looks as though it is a Rowvan, but it has a couple of things that I wasnt sure about. Such as the cut off at the top of the door, and the profile curve of either end.
Rowvan 1.jpg
Rowvan 1.jpg (75.53 KiB) Viewed 1497 times
Rowvan 2.jpg
Rowvan 2.jpg (64.01 KiB) Viewed 1496 times
Rowvan 3.jpg
Rowvan 3.jpg (68.46 KiB) Viewed 1496 times
The typical Rowvan short axle and no wheel arches.
Rowvan 4.jpg
Rowvan 4.jpg (73.18 KiB) Viewed 1496 times
The typical Rowvan coupling.
Rowvan 5.jpg
Rowvan 5.jpg (66.5 KiB) Viewed 1490 times
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
Richard

Re: Rowvan

Post by Richard »

I asked Graham and Merrin to send some interior shots before I could say for sure if it was a Rowvan or not.
Rowvan Roof.jpg
Rowvan Roof.jpg (49.71 KiB) Viewed 1490 times
Rowvan Wardrobe.jpg
Rowvan Wardrobe.jpg (46.03 KiB) Viewed 1490 times
Rowvan Table.jpg
Rowvan Table.jpg (53.1 KiB) Viewed 1490 times
Rowvan Kitchen.jpg
Rowvan Kitchen.jpg (49.05 KiB) Viewed 1490 times
Rowvan Kitchen 2.jpg
Rowvan Kitchen 2.jpg (44.7 KiB) Viewed 1490 times
The first two photos pretty much confirmed that this is a Rowvan, there is also a few other things that confirm it as well, the kitchen stove recess and the wardrobe.

But in saying all that I could still not work out why there was a cut of at the top of the door. Was it a modification done years ago because the owner was a tall person ?
Well the answer was staring me in the face all of the time. The third photo down shows the table mounted sideways across the front, this would give about 2 feet from the front to the side of the door. Where as in my Rowvan I have a dinette across the front which gives about three feet from the front to the door. Problem solved, it this is actually a 10'6" Rowvan, so because it is shorter the door moves slightly to the front causing the Rows to cut the top of the door down to follow the roof line. :roll: :roll:

The two photos below show the difference between my 12' Rowvan and Graham and Merrins 10'6" Rowvan.
My Rowvan.jpg
My Rowvan.jpg (40.66 KiB) Viewed 1489 times
Rowvan.jpg
Rowvan.jpg (75.53 KiB) Viewed 1489 times
vintagevanner

Re: Graham and Merrins Rowvan

Post by vintagevanner »

Hi Richard

Regarding the door cutout and your explanation. If you look at the pink Rowvan in this thread, you will see that there is no cutout at the door. Yet it too is a 10ft 6 inch van. So perhaps the mystery for the cutout is still there!!

http://vintagecaravans.proboards.com/in ... hread=8863

Ray
OlFarts

Post by OlFarts »

I know the van in question , prior to the current owners purchasing it, it is definitly a Rowvan.

Would enjoy seeing the van and progress if any :)

Dave
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi Dave.
I haven't heard any more of this van since I originally posted the photos. :( :(
I too would like to see some progress photos, as you all know we love vintage caravan photo restorations. :D :D
Cheers.