Our 1951 Silver Knight 15.

Photos and Information on Members Caravans. This a great place to introduce yourself.
Richard

Re: Our 1951 Silver Knight 15.

Post by Richard »

Hi Gordon.
I had a long look at the photos that you emailed, but I have come to the conclusion that this truck was just a little bit too l o n g . I would really be after something in a small truck, only slightly bigger than a ute type of truck, if that makes sence.
Thanks again.
Richard.
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
Richard

Post by Richard »

I found this old 1970's postcard from the UK the other day, and was very surprised to see that it had a Silver Knight in the picture.
It looks as though the caravan is being used as a display as it has a little sign in the window.
Silver Knight..jpg
Richard.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Clive has emailed me a line drawing of a Coventry Steel Caravan.
Even as a drawing you can see that the interior would be very plush, even has double side doors with an awning.
Coventry Steel caravan.jpg
griffin

Post by griffin »

Hi Richard

I spent a little bit of time on Australia Day in the Mitchell Library having a look at "How to build CARAVANS" by John Porter, 1948-9. The title page says it incorporates The Australian Caravan magazine and Log Manual and it is about 150 pages.
In all, 7 pages of illustrations and text were devoted to the Coventry Knight 48, and from the way the text reads it almost appears they were expected to be sold in Australia.
CK - HTBC-c 1948-49.jpg
CK a -c - HTBC 1948-9.jpg
CK b - HTBC -c 1948-9.jpg
CK c - HTBC -c 1948-9.jpg
This was a very palatial beast and you will be king of the road for sure if you get your one sorted.

The last photo of the series show one set up as a mobile bank.

George

George
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi George.
I must have been asleep when you posted the information above as I have just found it. Coventry Steel Caravans were a very well made and crafted caravan, and it was common in the UK for them to be used for mobile offices/banks etc. It is interesting that they may have been available in Australia as I have found a 1950's for sale for one of the larger Coventry Steel Caravans

Charlie has emailed an original photo of a Coventry Steel Caravan, which just happens to be the same 2 floor caravan in the Australian newspaper article that I posted, 4th post down on page 2.
Coventry Steel Caravan.jpg
Richard

Post by Richard »

I had posted this Coventry Knight some where else in the forum ages ago, so I thought I had better add it to this section on our Coventry Knight.
Coventry.jpg
Richard

Post by Richard »

I came across this Vintage Caravan article the other day while going through some stuff from 1950.
Its an article on the 8 room double deck Coventry Steel Caravan, and I suppose it was a bit funny that it was in an Australian publication.
Coventry Steel 1.jpg
Coventry Steel 2.jpg