CARnivale instead of Motorfest for Aus Day 2013

griffin

CARnivale instead of Motorfest for Aus Day 2013

Post by griffin »

Most are no doubt aware that the NRMA Motorfest for Australia Day 2013 has been canned due to other commitments of the NRMA, but it appears that the event will go ahead in pretty much the same format as CARnivale.

To get some info and register on line go to http://www.australiaday.com.au/CARnivale - I just have to work out what I want to take, the van with the Velox last year was an interesting time, despite the rain, at least we had shelter, maybe we'll do it again, and I can wear those shorts once more!
2012 NRMA Motorfest 020-c.jpg
George
Richard

Re: CARnivale instead of Motorfest for Aus Day 2013

Post by Richard »

Hi George.
Thanks for posting the info on CARnivale, I for one thought the car display for next Australia Day had been caned all together.

Cheers.
Richard.
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
mrfj55

Post by mrfj55 »

SAME SAME AS YOU RICHARD.

HAPPY ITS STILL ON FOR 2013, I WONDER IF THERE ARE ANY CHANGES THAT MAY CONCERN US V V'ers .

HAS ANYONE HEARD ANY MORE INFO ?

CHEERS , 8-) MAURIE 8-)
griffin

Post by griffin »

NO word on my application yet, and everyone I know that has applied also have not heard anything yet. Plenty of time, just plan to be there.

George
griffin

Post by griffin »

The Australia Day CARnivale had only two VVanners in attendance this year, Tickos with their '57 Chev and bondwood and ourselves with the Velox and Debonair.
Tickos and Griffin line up.JPG
The numbers of cars were down as was expected given the lack of information that went out about the event, but it was still a very respectable showing. There was a slight change of format with a display of Supercars, a big display of motor bikes in Martin Place, and a Best of the Best concours. It all seemed a bit slow to get going, but we were there at 7.30am with Tickos already in place, cars were still arriving until around 10am.
supercars.JPG
The crowds seemed to suddenly appear and it was on for young and old. Kids really seem to love the old vans and are in awe that they have beds, a stove, refrigerator, and in our case a micro wave, I don't think too many knew what the chamber pot was though. It appears the current generation of kids never go caravanning, has it skipped a generation? maybe just something for Grey Nomads? At least they were out in the sun, looking about, asking questions and not walking about with their face stuck in an electronic device.
Our two kids behaved and played quietly outside near the van all day.
the kids.JPG
Caravans, crowds, CARnivale.JPG
This photo shows the crowds as I came back for lunch around 12.30pm, and if I had 2 bob for everyone that tapped on the van to see what it was made of, asked if we actually use it, or remarked on our bottles of TARAX, then I could near have had enough to buy the new Airstream which was on display at the other end, not really, I don't like them, but I guess they will become part of the modern caravan scene.
Airstream.JPG
I even found a piece of vintage caravanailia - we went to the basement of St Stephen's Church for a coffee, pike-lets and fresh cream. I availed myself of the Gentleman's Cloakroom and when addressing the wash basin was confronted by an old chrome plated cup holder with a diamond shaped base screwed onto the mirror, and I didn't take a photo.

My take home car choice this year was an Auburn tourer, and I reckon it would be a great tow car.
Auburn.JPG
Reddo reckoned he wasn't going this year, but I reckon he went as a spectator, who else would have been wearing this hat??
incogneto.JPG
Tickos were off as soon as the starters gun went off near 5pm, another long day, and one for various reasons we won't be repeating next year be it another CARnivale or a Motorfest event, but it was fun.

George