Capricorn Caravans

A History of Caravan Manufacturers in Australia.
Richard

Capricorn Caravans

Post by Richard »

Capricorn Caravans.
East Bentleigh Victoria.

A Brief History.
In 1950 Joe Postner decided that he had enough of living conditions in the Communist controlled Czechoslavakia and chose Australia for his new home. He arrived here with nothing but the princely sum of 5 pound in his pocket and the knowedge of his trade as a cabinet maker.
Joes first job in Australia was with Dick Thickens at Highway Caravans. After gaining valuable experience and knowledge of the caravan industry, in 1962 he and 3 of his Italian friends, Messers. Piccioni, Palmarini and Kansi got together and founded Capricorn Caravan. The business flourished and a move to bigger premises in Dandenong became necessary. When Mr Kansi decided to return to Europe, the other partners decided to go their separate ways and Mr Piccioni retained the firms name of Capricorn.
Joe Postner later opened another factory at Moorabbin and manufactured Cambridge and Islander Caravans.
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
griffin

Re: Capricorn Caravans

Post by griffin »

At the recent Tathra gathering I took a walk around the on site vans and ran across a Capricorn. I've no idea of the age, but would assume it is late 60s, early 70s. Anyone any idea? It was among a group of vans a resident told me would have to be relocated as more cabins were going in.
Capricorn on site - Tathra-c.JPG
Capricorn logo on site van Tathra-c.JPG
Unfortunately an awning on the front had been siliconed on partly covering the logo. Oops, I never thought to check the back!!!

George