Newbie that's old

Photos and Information on Members Caravans. This a great place to introduce yourself.
butchrangerken

Newbie that's old

Post by butchrangerken »

Hi
I'm new to the forum so I don't know if this will work. Got hold of a Gypsy 12 footer and am hoping to do it up to drag behind my EK ute. It's getting built too. The van was just sitting there rotting so it's in the shed also. Any way have been reading lots on the site so here's hoping
Kenny
griffin

Re: Newbie that's old

Post by griffin »

Hi Kenny

Looks like a worthwhile project, good to see another one saved, good luck with it and the car.
I'm sure Richard can help with any technical stuff you need to know.
Keep us posted with some photos.

George
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi Kenny.
And welcome to the ourtouringpast.com website. It looks as though your van will need a little bit of restoration work, so you have come to the right website if you need any common sence help or advice. :D :D
I have a Gypsy 10 that is only in slight better condition than yours, although mine has a pipe webbed chassis, and wont need much to take the paint back to bare timber as most of it has peeled off. :D
Looking forward to more pictures.

Cheers.
Richard.
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
butchrangerken

Post by butchrangerken »

Richard
Glad to see someone else has a gypsy
It's now down to a chassis. After measuring, it seems the van is built off centre. It is about 20mm wider on the drivers side. I had to replace some crossbracing but the originals that are there are longer on one side. If you measure from the chassis rails and drawbar everything is square just longer one side. Have you heard of this before. I don't think it will be a problem as I will have to built the whole thing anyway but have saved all the original cupboards and the like just need to learn a bit (Maybe a lot) a mate said if man built it man can rebuild it. Anyway will try to load pictures as I go.Enjoy life.
Kenny