Cleaning Aluminium Windows.

Technical Information and Photos of historic caravan restorations and repairs.
Richard

Cleaning Aluminium Windows.

Post by Richard »

Just started to give the windows on the Sunliner a scrub up, I have been asked a few times before on the best way to clean the aluminium frames on the windows.

This is the window before I started.
Window.JPG
I basically use steel wool in 2 different grades. For the first scrub I use a No 1 grade steel wool and a detergent solution of about 1 part detergent and 3 parts water. Then for the second scrub I use a No 00 grade steel wool (which is a finer grade.) and the same solution, but this time I give the rubbers around the window a scrub as well. Then the whole area gets washed down and when they are dry I use Armorall on the rubbers to protect them.

This is the window after about 15 minutes work.
Polished Window.JPG
Then if you want a highly polished frame you can use a metal polish such as Purple.
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
bluetangjo

Re: Cleaning Aluminium Windows.

Post by bluetangjo »

Hi Richard,

I recently got a cattledog from Permanent Painted Coatings & wondered if you or anybody had ever tried this on aluminium?
http://www.ppc.au.com/kits4.htm

If you have, is it any good?

Jo
Richard

Re: Cleaning Aluminium Windows.

Post by Richard »

Hi Jo.
I havnt used this type of product before. I think you give the finished article a coat of clear type lacquer, which will keep it shiny for longer :D :D but when it deteriorates the clear coat will need to be striped off. :( :(

Cheers.
Richard.
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.