Bondwood used in fund raising event.

General discussion about the topic of historic caravans.
griffin

Bondwood used in fund raising event.

Post by griffin »

Passing through Blaney, NSW the other day (early April) we stopped for a look about and a coffee and as we came out of the shop a little Bondwood went by and into a side street. I quickly followed and spoke to the owner.

The van had just completed a trip from Melbourne to Sydney as a back up vehicle for the owner’s 15 year old grandson, Lauchlan Denny, who rode a push bike between the two Capitals to raise funds for World Challenge.

He was just calling into the shop where we had coffee (with the biggest cream buns I’ve ever seen :o 8-) :) ) to let them know the outcome as they had donated to the cause. He had come out of the street where I had the Velox and Debonair parked and he had detoured to have a look at it. I think he may have the vintage van bug :)
Bondwood at Blayney - side -c.JPG
Originally he had intended to use his camper van but a friend offered him the Bondwood which I think he said was on a farm at Yea in Victoria. It wasn’t restored but given a quick coat of paint and sorted for leaks and he used it as he thought it would draw more attention to help the cause and to help slow down vehicles. It seems it worked well in both ways and he was surprised that he had several offers to buy the van :o which isn’t for sale.
Bondwood at Blayney - rear-c.JPG
I directed him to the web site so hopefully there is another convert and van saved. The original six stud wheels were replaced with a pair from his old Landcruiser for the trip.
Bondwood at Blayney - drawbar-c.JPG
Some icing on the cake when I called at the local parts place to find the owner has is dad’s PB Vauxhall in the shed out the back waiting to sort out the brakes and put it back on the road. It’s a small world for Vauxhall owners :lol:

The following information was provided in a flyer for the event, great to see a young lad doing something worthwhile instead of burying his head in an X-Box thingy.

George

Lauchlan Denny, a 15 year old schoolboy from Parade College Bundoora will be participating in World Challenge, an organisation that encourages youth to trek third world countries and help re-build or assist impoverished communities. Lauchlan will fly to Nepal in November 2011, to assist with a community project planned for a local orphanage/school.

Despite having never ridden a proper road bike until about 8 months ago, Lauchlan has trained exceptionally hard, having decided to cycle 1,031 km’s from Melbourne’s CBD to the heart of Sydney and raise money along the way. He leaves Melbourne City Square on the morning of the 18th March 2011, arriving to Mansfield on the evening of the same day (approx 200km). He hopes to complete the journey in approx 7 – 10 days.

Wishing to exceed expectations and raise $100,000, Lauchlan is seeking the kind support and sponsorship of businesses and people along the way. The first $50,000 raised, goes to World Challenge: Nepal project, and any money raised over this will go to Jim Stynes Reach Foundation – supporting kids to reach their full potential.

Lauchlan hopes to inspire other young teenagers to push their comfort zone and achieve their
dreams.

QUOTE: “Lauchy is a wonderful example of a young person realising his dreams. His commitment to help others and take on this challenge provides inspiration to us all. Reach is proud to be a beneficiary of Lauchy’s Charity Ride and any money raised for Reach will go to help inspire and help other young people to achieve their dreams”