Australias First Caravan.

A Photo History of old Family Caravanning photos or just old photos of caravans.
Richard

Australias First Caravan.

Post by Richard »

Well its probably not 100% correct as it should read Australias First Motorhome. I have been reading through the Caravan World magazines I got a couple of weeks ago and I have come across some great information, but I did find this 1975 article on a motorhome that a Mr G C Kaesler built back in 1929. :shock: :shock:
Aust First Motorhome Article.jpg
Here is a more recent photo of the motorhome at its present home in Goolwa with a couple of local volunteers that look after the old girl. :D
Australias first Motorhome.jpg
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
Richard

Re: Australias First Caravan.

Post by Richard »

I have been rumaging through my photo archives, and I came across this photo of the motorhome. It is not the same photo as used in the article above but at a rough guess it would be a tad older as this photo still has the headlight attached.
Aust first caravan.jpg
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
griffin

Post by griffin »

Hi Richard

This is certainly an interesting vehicle and I remember seeing photographs, old and new, of it over the years and loved the way it actually looks like a home on wheels, it's great that it has survived.

I wonder if it might correctly be called the 'oldest surviving motorhome' in view of the following article I found in The Argus, 17th January, 1922. Unfortunately no photo accompanied the article but it certainly describes a 'motorhome'.

"CARAVANNING BY MOTOR.
IDEAL HOLIDAY MAKING.
Useful Data Furnished.
By G. R. BROADBENT.

Recent developments in motor touring indicate that the practice of caravanning, of using the vehicle for accommodation at night as well as for travelling by day is gaining favour with a number of motorists, and during the Christmas vacation there were several parties that adopted this method of spending their holidays. It is a kind of gypsy life that has its attractions, and would appeal more strongly to many others were they acquainted with the ways and means of doing it. I am indebted to Mr. Leslie J. Millar, of Melbourne, who organised a party of five, for the particulars furnished of an outing by motor- caravan extending over the Christmas and New Year holidays: His companions were Messrs. C. and G. Hiddlestone, W. Powell, and T. Peterson. Gippsland was chosen as the touring ground, the Prince's Highway being followed for about 200 miles, when, on the banks of the Tambo River near Swan Keach, a camp was established for two or three days, it was a successful attempt to shake themselves free from conventionalism, and to have a few days of rationally natural existence.
The vehicle used was a "Karrier" chassis, on which was mounted the "house" a roomy, covered-in-van body with wide spring-cushion seats at the sides that were converted into sleeping-bunks at night. Underneath these were conveniently stowed cooking utensils, food, spare clothing, &c, on the one side, and on the other were bedding, petrol, oil, and spares, while on the walls 'were secured guns and fishing tackle.' Drinking water and dry firewood were also carried in case of emergency. The dimensions of the body were as follow: Width ?ft. 4in.; length, 10ft. 0in.; height, ?ft. 4in., and, fitted with drop curtain back and front, completely enclosed them in case of wet and rough weather. Food was purchased en route, but the larder was also replenished with hares and rabbits, both of which were plentiful in the districts traversed. Wherever the caravan was halted it was the object of many inquiries, in fact, many motorists pulled up to inspect the "travelling house," and without exception all agreed that it was comfortable, and conveyed a sense of independence.
The camp was pitched near the bridge over the Tambo, where the direct road to Nowa Nowa leaves the highway and, making almost a rightabout turn, passes beneath the structure along the stream. Here the caravan was halted for three nights, the tourists spending the time meanwhile in making excursions to the various places of interest, and in shooting and fishing; and by courtesy of a local farmer they were permitted to dig up new potatoes, pick French beans and green peas, and were supplied with plenty of fresh, rich milk. Here, too, the cook seems to have surpassed himself by preparing filleted skip-jack (I caught in the Tambo), jugged hare, baked stuffed rabbits, devilled kidneys, baked potatoes, fish patties, custards, &c. and also tossed pancakes in great style. One turn of the wrist and a golden-brown pancake would fly out of the pan, gyrate in the air, and return to have the other side browned to the cook's satisfaction. No complaints were reported of the commissariat! The caravanners were hosts to number of passing motorists inquiring the way and many go astray at this point, also as to the state of the roads and the distance to the next hotel, and the travellers quite enjoyed the al fresco meals placed before them. In all nine days were spent on the trip, the participants agreeing that it was an ideal way of spending the holiday; and although the caravan was on solid tyres it rode well, none of the party suffering the least discomfort, thanks, of course, to the moderate speed at which it was driven, to the many stoppages on the way, and also to being able to change positions and places while on the move. The moderate pace naturally meant less vibration, less dust, and less draft, and, not withstanding the numerous halts and the time in camp, a distance of about 450 miles was covered."

There may be a couple of errors in the text, it is difficult to read the original.

For those unfamiliar with Karrier, they were a British make which was eventually caught up in the Rootes Group. I haven't been able to find anything particularly informative on line about them but I do have this 1922 Australian advertisement.
Karrier advert -1922.jpg
I doubt if a new vehicle would have been used for this trip but it may have been, the advert shows they still had solid rubber tyres in 1922. The 'moderate speed' referred to in the article is likely to have been a necessity rather than an option, given the vehicle and the roads of the times. I doesn't seem like the 'caravanners' were doing it hard by the sound of the menu though.

I dare say there could be even earlier motorhomes to be found as the article alludes to others at the time.

My brother has been restoring a late 20s Karrier for many years and while in England in 2003 I visited a friend of his in Huddersfield, the home of Karrier, who had an interesting collection of trucks in his shed and the lovely sandstone Karrier sign from the old factory in the yard near the shed. The sign is the shape of the logo on the radiator and stood about 6 feet tall. Unfortunately it was about as dismal a day as you could get in Huddersfield and I quickly moved inside!

George
griffin

Post by griffin »

Here's another find from my disjointed filing system. I knew I had something on this when it was first posted and here it is at last, an item from The Australian Motorist, March 1, 1933.
Kaesler Dodge - The Australian Motorist March 1, 1933-c.jpg
George