Playing the waiting game.... Possible Purdon

Photos and Information on Members Caravans. This a great place to introduce yourself.
reddo

Playing the waiting game.... Possible Purdon

Post by reddo »

Hi
I know i shouldnt start a thread without having positive confirmation on the pending purchase of an old van ... but i figured i woulkd make mention of it here.

About 3 years ago i was enjoying a cold beer on the front verandah of a local pub one friday arvo.
I had rode out there on my old Norton and was "drinking with the flys".. so to speak ( On my own )
A couple of blokes got yarning with me aboutr the bike.....as is usually the case when ya ride old bikes. ;)
I mentioned that i had other sicknesses like messing with vintage caravans.
One of the guys hapened to mention that his uncle had one in his shed in his shed a few suburbs over from my place at Barnsley.
As i listened intently he told me that his uncle and aunt had bought it back in the fifties from a local van builder.... ( i am thinking Purdon or Walsh'/ Newcastle caravans).

About 12 to 14 ft long . Blue and white and always kept under cover. well maintained and in very original condition..
By this stage he had my total and undivided attention..... as you would expect :D

Then came the low blow... Old Uncle NEVER sells anything :cry:
I quizzed him as to weather i might be able to talk to the old fella and see if i might be able to persuade him into selling the van to me.
The bloke at the pub told me where the old bloke worked and wished me luck.....

Fast forward a few years....
Since that day at the pub i have driven past the old blokes business about 300 times.. at first i would say to myself..."I need to drop in and see old Keith about that van".....
Then keep on motoring down the road.

Fast Forward to last week...

Trish and i called in at the blokes shop to buy a few odds and ends for the Old van i am converting into a motorbike hauler/ camper/ vintage van last week.
I asked the young bloke working out the back as to the whereabouts of old Keith.
He replied that he had died 3 weeks ago... :cry:

I mentioned the old van to him and he said that he had sen the van a few weks ago when old keiths son .. Paul had taken him up to his dads house. 8-) .. it is in good condition.
where do i find Paul??
Thats him over there!!
Thanks Mate..

I greeted Paul and offered him my coindolences on the loss of his dad..
A bit of light chat followed and he asked what i wanted from him??
I mentioned the van and ..
He is more than keen to get the van out of the shed so he can store his car up there..

My heart started to go all wobbly thinking i might finally get to see the old van after three years of wandering about it..
Then i got the news that mum is very senimental..... :roll: .. about the old van and he seriuosly doubts she will let it go to anyonme at this stage.

So.. we exchanged details and i left him to ask mum if it would be Ok for me to at least go have a looksee at the van..
Sooooooooooooooooo.. as the titlle to this story states .. i am again "Playing the waiting game"..
Stay tuned...I will let you know how i get on ;) ;) ;)

Reddo
griffin

Re: Playing the waiting game.... Possible Purdon

Post by griffin »

Hi Reddo

Good luck with it but 3 years waiting already, where's the photos :?:

Griffin
reddo

Post by reddo »

Hi Griffin
I havent visited the place where the van is stored ...nor do i have an address..
Hence no photos yet!!!!
All i know is that 3 people have confimed that the van is where i was told it was 3 years ago...
So we will all need to be patient and play "The waiting game" until the old blokes son can wrangle the key off dear old mum and contact me as to when i can go have a look see..
Will definitley have the camera with me.

Regards
Reddo
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi Reddo.
Its hard sometimes to know that there is a van out there just waiting to be rescued. But the memories attached to the van can be vary hard to break sometimes, all you can do is play the waiting game, cos if you pester them thay may just dig there heels in deeper. :x

I know of a van Iam just dying to get hold of but the owners wife thinks she may want to use it one day, till then the rats are eating holes in the sides. :o :o

Good luck with it Reddo.
Richard.
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.