My 1955 Handmade Caravan

Photos and Information on Members Caravans. This a great place to introduce yourself.
Robert

My 1955 Handmade Caravan

Post by Robert »

I am the second owner of this 1955 Handmade Caravan which I purchased just a few days ago.
The interior is in very good original condition as far as the ceiling, walls and Oak Cabinets.
The floor is a bit spongey and I will probably replace.
The roff and top half of the caravan is made of Hardwood and the bottom is aluminium.
Its about 11.5 ft and has an excellent chassie.
The roof does have a hollow section on one side near the rear. Does anyone have suggestions for repairing? Should I take that section out?
Anyone know of a Club in New Zealand for old caravans?
If not I might start a register.
Regards to all.
Robert
Attachments
caravan3.jpg
caravan3.jpg (38.19 KiB) Viewed 1137 times
caravan4.jpg
caravan4.jpg (41.6 KiB) Viewed 1137 times
caravan.jpg
caravan.jpg (41.44 KiB) Viewed 1137 times
griffin

Re: My 1955 Handmade Caravan

Post by griffin »

Hi Robert
Nice stylish little van for 1955 :) Is 'Handmade' a brand of van or a NZers way of saying home built? I can't offer any tips for your planned repairs as I've got fibreglass :roll: but Richard may have something to offer. He should be back soon from his caravanning holiday :)
I've couldn't find anything of a club or site for NZ vans when I was searching for stuff on vans, again Richard may know of one and could no doubt offer you some tips on starting a register too. Nothing like being elected when you are absent :lol:
There are a few NZ vans on OTP in case you missed them, posted under General Discussion.

Good luck
George
Robert

Post by Robert »

Thanks for your help George,
I hopefully will hear from Richard if he sees this. I feel that New Zealand definately needs a register and will only too keen to kick it off.
Regards
Robert
Robert

Post by Robert »

rry George didnt see your question. Yes its home built by a guy in Tauranga.