Caravan Piano.

A Photo History of any caravan related items from camping gear to toys.
griffin

Caravan Piano.

Post by griffin »

"Say what Willis?" A piano in the caravan, for those caravanners who have everything.

I rang across this advertisement on Trove for the "Dulcitone Piano" which is specifically listed as being suitable for a caravan. Fancy being camped next to little Johnny who got one for Christmas and took it away in the van so he could practice during the holidays :o
Piano - the West Australian 20-12-1938.JPG
Piano - the West Australian 20-12-1938.JPG (29.32 KiB) Viewed 1918 times
Several advertisements appeared in the WA papers in 1938, and it was also advertised in the Sydney Morning Herald.
I'm certainly not musical, and in fact can barely play the fool most times, so the little bit of information given means nothing. A 'Google' search reveals they are of Scottish origin and manufacture, and the unit weighed about 50lbs, comprised of a series of tuning forks which were struck with a felt hammer, hence its ability to maintain tune whilst being lugged about. The bagpipes are lighter and could frighten away more of the wildlife :) The 'Google' image search produced this illustrated advertisement, and I can't help but feel the lads in the background would rather be playing footy.
Dulcitone 142pic7.jpg
Dulcitone 142pic7.jpg (73.31 KiB) Viewed 1918 times
Not many survive apparently, one in New Zealand, so if you find an old van with one it might be worth more than the caravan.

George
DC3TD

Re: Caravan Piano.

Post by DC3TD »

Almost as good (if you like) as Mariah Carey who has a 5.5 range.