Meat safe

A Photo History of any caravan related items from camping gear to toys.
DC3TD

Meat safe

Post by DC3TD »

ImageManaged to pick this up today.Had actually seen a Kande brand that was new,never used in its original 1950s` box, but decided on this one. cheers gordon
sportsman1

Re: Meat safe

Post by sportsman1 »

Thats not a meat safe,

THIS IS A MEAT SAFE!

This meat safe is fitted to my 1955 S.A. Clipper, along with an ice box and vegetable keeper.

It was built to special order for a farmer in outback South Australia, I guess he had never had a fridge on the farm.

Any body else ever seen a meat safe in a caravan?

cheers, Leigh.
noddy

Post by noddy »

I've not seen one in a caravan but I do remember we used to take one with us camping. Also remember having to scrub the maggots out of the meat once when someone didn't shut the door properly. Yep we cooked it and ate it, otherwise we were going to go hungry.

I have one just like Gordons. I use it mostly for cooling cakes/pies etc.
griffin

Post by griffin »

Here's a 1938 ad for a round meat safe, don't think I've ever seen one, but being a 'city slicker' we only ever had fridges or ice chests when I was a kid. No doubt it would have been handy for camping or caravanning, apart from being round, maybe that's why it was on special with two bob off!
I always find it annoying that storage containers are round when the things you put them in, cupboards and fridges are angular, it never works, lots of wasted space, or is it just me being a grumpy old man?
Meat Safe-The West Australian (Perth) 8-9-1938.jpg
Meat Safe-The West Australian (Perth) 8-9-1938.jpg (17.4 KiB) Viewed 2362 times
George