Towing Aids.

A Photo History of any caravan related items from camping gear to toys.
griffin

Re: Towing Aids.

Post by griffin »

Another ad for adjustable springs, these ones from Atlas although they look identical to the ones in the previous post. From The Open Road, 1 February, 1967.
Atlas-Open Rd 1-2-67c.jpg
George
Richard

Post by Richard »

While at Cowra a few weeks ago I was given this late 1940's brochure on the Hutchinson's Caravan Dolly.
Hutchinson 1.jpg
Hutchinson 2.jpg
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
Richard

Post by Richard »

I was recently researching a vintage caravan topic on the IP Australia website :roll: :roll:
and came across this patent for a Dolly wheel. The patent was taken out in Australia in 1949 by two American gentleman.

After having a quick look at the patent it is quite evident that the dolly is very similar to the Hutchinson dolly and also Carapark dolly but to a lesser extent. ( both shown below.)

The Patent is 7 pages long, but I have only attached the first 2 pages as well as the diagram.
Dolly 1.jpg
Dolly 2.jpg
Dolly 3.jpg
Hutchinson Dolly.jpg
Carapark Dolly.jpg
Richard

Post by Richard »

After purchasing this Jennison Pathfinder with a Jones' Dolly wheel.
Jones Jennison.JPG
I have been stuck into doing some conclusive research on the Jones Dolly wheel. So armed with the patent number from the dolly wheel badge I went to the Australian Patent website and found the patent for an "Improved Front Support Means For Trailer Caravans".

It was originally designed by Herbert David Jones for his company Jones Springs Pty Limited and the patent was lodged on the 2nd of October 1957.
It is a fairly short patent application considering the design as well as the lengths of other patents of similar designs.
JDW 1.jpg
JDW 2.jpg
JDW 3.jpg
JDW 4.jpg
JDW 5.jpg
One thing I did find very interesting was that the patent states that "For heavy vehicles a pair of caster wheels are mounted in the same manner". This would be some imposing trailer to have two of these caster wheels fitted. I wonder also wonder if it was ever done?
Richard

Post by Richard »

Easier to identify diagrams of the Jones Dolly Wheel.
Jones Pat Dia 1.jpg
Jones Pat Dia 2.jpg
Jones Pat Dia 3.jpg
Richard

Post by Richard »

I found this very hard to find Henderson ( Hendy ) caravan dolly on ebay recently, it was just a shame it was in Ballarat. :roll: :roll:

It is interesting how the principle is the same as the Hutchinson caravan dolly, but the Hendy dolly has the leaf spring running across the axle. 8-) 8-)
Hendy 1.jpg
Hendy 2.jpg
Hendy 3.jpg
Richard

Post by Richard »

I recently came across this 1941 patent for a caravan dolly invented by Laurie William Hardman along the lines of a Henderson and Hutchinson type dolly. The main difference with this one is it has two caster wheels and the pivoting frame is attached by two points to the back of the car.
I wonder why this one didn't become commercially available as it would have solved the problem of trying to reverse with the dolly attached to the car and caravan.
Patent 1.jpg
Patent 2.jpg
Patent 3.jpg
Richard

Post by Richard »

Carrying on with the vintage caravan towing dolly patents.
A 1954 Patent submitted by Paul Hutchinson of Henry St. Greensborough. Victoria.
This Patent was also amended in in 1957, maybe they were worried about competition with the Henderson dolly that was patented in 1956.
Hutchinson 1.jpg
Hutchinson 2.jpg
Hutchinson 3.jpg
I have included the front page of the amendment but there are 4 pages in total to it.
Hutchinson 4.jpg
Hutchinson 5.jpg
Richard

Post by Richard »

To complete the vintage caravan towing dolly patents that I have at the moment.

Here is a 1956 patent that was submitted by Victor Percival Buckland, better known as the Henderson or Hendy towing dolly, which is a very similar design to the Hutchinson towing dolly, except that it uses one transverse leaf spring.
Hendy 1.jpg
Hendy 2.jpg
Hendy 3.jpg
Hendy 4.jpg
Richard

Post by Richard »

On a recent rescue mission to Forbes Caravans Sales and Repairs we meet up with Bob Taylor who has kindly given me a copy of his research of the Jones Dolly Wheel. He has been in contact with Ray Bartlett who started working at Jones Springs and eventually ran the Jones Dolly Wheel business after Herbert Jones passed away in 1964.

A copy of the comprehensive history of the Jones Dolly Wheel as prepared by Bob Taylor.
JDW 1.jpg
JDW 2.jpg