Vintage Camping Dunny/Toilet

A Photo History of any caravan related items from camping gear to toys.
wildbrumby

Vintage Camping Dunny/Toilet

Post by wildbrumby »

Hi
Found this old camping "toilet/dunny" at a garage sale over the weekend for a bargain at $5. Couldn't resist. My son, who is a keen fisherman said it was a beauty. He might take it out the bush when he sets up camp when he goes fishing. I have seen the cans with two handles that were used in the outside "dunny's", but nothing like this one. Has anyone seen one like this? It has another can sitting in it at the moment, that can be taken out. It is in great condition made of heavy green enamel with a wooden seat and lid, that has a latch to keep it closed. Great for sitting in the old caravan when travelling. Even has a vent at the back and original sticker that says EMPTY WHEN HALF FULL.
Cheers
wildbrumby
Attachments
20170527_142148.jpg
20170527_142113.jpg
20170527_142057.jpg
Richard

Re: Vintage Camping Dunny/Toilet

Post by Richard »

Ha Ha Ha Wildbrumby.
What a great find. I must have the delux version as I have the same pan but I have a moulded seat. It always gets peoples attention and they cant help them selves and have to lift the lid, so I put a fake poo in it. Now the drop the lid pretty quick. :lol: :lol:
I also love the label under the lid "empty when half full". I would be emptying it long before then. :D :D
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
wildbrumby

Post by wildbrumby »

OMG. That's so funny. I'll have to do the same. :lol:
reddo

Post by reddo »

Ummmmmmm...
I think if i had to tote one of these little gems around with me , i would mount it on the drawbar. 8-) .... nice panoramic open air 270 degree view while star gazing and waiting for No: 2 to arrive.!!!
Otherwise it would need something like a racing cars "fuel cell" inside it to stop the contents slooshing out in the van on corners etc.
Even with the "half full" rule being applied i dont think i would like to have the shitter stowed in the van at all....From a risk assessment perspective The risk of spillage might be low .. but the consequences if it the tin did " runneth over" would be catastrophic

Just imagine waking up in the morning to a nose full of the fumes coming out from under the lid.....Yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyuuuucccccckkkk.

Nup.. ya can keep your green tin WB

.. its the shovel and dunny roll bush waltz for me im afraid

Reddo
wildbrumby

Post by wildbrumby »

Hi reddo
Ha ha yeah I agree. I wouldn't cart anything like that in the van. I couldn't resist buying it though for the 5 bucks. Like Richard said, it's a good talking point. Make a good planter in the garden.
wb