All Care and Camber Caravans

A History of Caravan Manufacturers in Australia.
griffin

All Care and Camber Caravans

Post by griffin »

"All Care" Caravans
Coral Service Station
253 Waverley Road,
East Malvern, Vic

Camber Caravan
same address as above.
Pre 1961 at 434 Burke Road,
South Camberwell, Vic.

It would seem that these were hire businesses and not caravan manufacturers.
Some of the following advertisements show vans for each with their respective names painted on the vans and I thought if someone had old holidays photos showing the name on the van it might be helpful if they go searching.
These advertisements are all from The Royalauto magazine of the RACV and while I did a Trove search for newspaper adverts I could find nothing for either name.
From the advertising it appears that "All Care" was taken over by Camber and the former name disappeared, even though the business then operated from the "All Care" address. The two addresses are only a short distance apart from what I can see.
The earliest ad for Camber states over 40 vans in the hire fleet using the makes Skyline, Sunbeam and Carefree. Sunbeam is a new one to me and I can't find anything about them or any advertising at this time.
Camber  1958-1 The Royalauto.jpg
These adverts from early 1961 show the same style van painted in the livery of each company. Someone more knowledgeable that I might recognize the make.
Camber & All Care  1961-5 & 3 The Royalauto-c.jpg
Then a few simple adverts until the last one found in 1962 which shows a Skyline van.
Camber 1961-4 The Royalauto.jpg
Camber 1961-8 The Royalauto.jpg
Camber 1962-3 The Royalauto.jpg
Another, different ad for Camber has been posted under the Carefree post indicating they were agents for that brand.

George
donricardo

Re: All Care and Camber Caravans

Post by donricardo »

Hi George,

Sunbeam caravans were a range of vans produced by Skyline. They looked very similar if not identical to the Skyline range, but were advertised as being 'outstanding for value' and £100+ cheaper. From that I gather that they were Skyline's 'budget' models, perhaps kitted out a bit more sparsely.

It looks as if it may be an example of a manufacturer trying a two brand strategy adopted pretty successfully at a later date by Viscount with its Viscount/Ambassador/Valiant brands.

Don Ricardo
Richard

Re: All Care and Camber Caravans

Post by Richard »

Hi George and Richard.
The last ad for Camber Caravans actually features a 1958 Franklin 12 ft Standard model found
HERE
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.