Australia's First Documented Caravan Trip.

A History of Caravan Manufacturers in Australia.
Richard

Australia's First Documented Caravan Trip.

Post by Richard »

I came across a book the other day, and it turns out to be, well I think anyway, the earliest documented caravan trip in Australia. :shock: :shock:

Iam pretty sure it has gone un noticed by others for many years and I only came across it after purchasing the book through the internet.

The book or log was an original hand written log of the two trips around Tasmania undertaken by the two friends Frank Styant Brown and Joshua Higgs both of Launceston Tasmania. Frank Styant Brown owned a pharmacy in Launceston and Joshua Higgs also of Launceston was a celebrated artist. The first trip in their little horse drawn caravan was in 1896 across to the east coast of Tasmania. Then their second trip was in 1899 to the country side to the west of Launceston.

I have also recently been reading about the travels of the celebrated Gordon Stables, who is reportedly to be the first person in England to use a caravan for pleasure. He first published his book about his travels in his land yacht "Wanderer" in 1886, which was 10 years before these two Tasmanians headed off in their caravan.

One thing I did find interesting though as Gordon Stables describes the "Wanderer" as having "the wheels and underworks are dark chocolate picked out with vermilion."
Then Frank Styant Brown, who does not give any details as to their caravan other than "our vessel ( the caravan ) was spick and span, and gorgeous in a fresh coat of chocolate paint picked out with vermilion."

It just made me wonder if one or both of these gentlemen had read Gordon Stables book and thought that if the colour scheme was good enough for the "Wanderer" then it was good enough for their caravan.. :?: :?:
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
Richard

Re: Australia's First Documented Caravan Trip.

Post by Richard »

Forgot to attach a photo of the cover.
The copy I have is 1 of 100 leather bound copies that were printed in 2002.
Voyages in a Caravan.jpg
Richard

Post by Richard »

Well news travels fast about a new discovery and it seems as though someone has been visiting the forum that really shouldn't be. :roll: :roll: :roll: Remember we are watching. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway here is a bit more info on this great book that was published by the Launceston Library and Brobok.
Cover page.jpg
Portrait of Frank Styant Brown. Pharmacist and Photographer. 1854-1938
Brown.jpg
Portrait of Joshua Higgs Jnr. Civil Engineer, Architect, Surveyor and Artist. 1843-1903.
Higgs.jpg
The first trip the two intrepid travellers took in 1896.
Trip 1.jpg
The second trip they took in 1899.
Trip 2.jpg
A camp at Summerford.
Camp.jpg
Richard

Post by Richard »

It seems as though the New Zealanders had a similar idea as well with this 1900 article I found about Mr Dash from Waimate in New Zealand and his horse drawn caravan.
NZ 1900 (Copy).JPG