Caravan Industries (Shaw Bros)

A History of Caravan Manufacturers in Australia.
griffin

Caravan Industries (Shaw Bros)

Post by griffin »

Caravan Industries
Kings Road
Brighton-Le-Sands
NSW

While recently visiting a country museum I found a copy of Cooks Business Directory for 1952-3 on a shelf and decided to have a browse. It contained all sorts of business listings, by States for Australia and included New Zealand. It is a substantial directory, about as big as Sydney Telephone Book of old, and the cover states it had been in publication since 1912.

As I flicked though it a large advertisement for a caravan manufacture caught my eye. It took a while to find again and this is it.
Caravan Industries 1-c.JPG
I didn't find any other caravan manufacturers advertised for the other States, nor was there any in an earlier edition from the 1940s.

I could not find a listing for Caravan Industries in the Library, unless it is under a particular caravan name, and I've not been able to find it. The advertisement indicates Shaw Bros were involved and stated "We build one caravan and build it well."

There is a name on the van which is mostly obscured behind the door, but it appears as though it might be "Brighton".

With a little more digging about my files I found another listing for Caravan Industries which is from a listing in the 1955 Cowra Telephone Book, but the address is given as 6-10 Tracey Street, Hurstville, a Sydney suburb not that far from Brighton-Le-Sands, could it be the same company? They appear to have moved up from just one van if it is.

Should this be a duplication, and Richard will set me straight, then I'll edit or delete it and post where it should be.

George
Richard

Re: Caravan Industries (Shaw Bros)

Post by Richard »

A little bit more information on the caravan Industries firm.
This 1958 vintage caravan ad also specifies the 5 models available in the "Brighton" caravan range.
The address is also listed as 15 Tracey St. Hurstville. NSW.
Caravan Ind.jpg
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.