Propert Folding Caravans.

A History of Caravan Manufacturers in Australia.
Richard

Re: Propert Folding Caravans.

Post by Richard »

A 1960 Propert ad.
Propert 60.jpg
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
Richard

Post by Richard »

A little 1968 Propert ad/article.
Propert 68.jpg
griffin

Post by griffin »

I just picked up some old Modern Motor magazines and found this advert for Propert in the February 1956 issue. It specifically lists two separate models which I don't recall seeing before? And he worked late, open till 9pm!
Propert- Modern Motor Feb 1956.JPG
And another I've had for some time from The Open Road, February 1967 is interesting for the price comparison, inflation wasn't too bad over 11 years.
Propert Open Rd 1-2-67.jpg
George
griffin

Post by griffin »

Here's an old photo I found recently of the Propert that got away. My dad had always wanted one but the powers that be wouldn't allow it, so I guess I've always had an interest in the Propert. 'She who must' in my case won't allow it so I'm still Propert less. In a former era when this photo was taken a Propert would have been accepted by the management, and the club member who had this one was told repeatedly that if he wanted to get rid of it I'd buy it.
F Victor & Propert at Kangaroo Valley-e.jpg
As things turned out he went through a break up and I didn't see him for a while. Out the other side and he reappeared and I asked after the Propert. It had been kept outside in the Wollongong area and had been deteriorating. "That old thing, I gave it away to a bloke down the road." Well so help me I nearly decked him after all those years of expressing an interest to buy it and he gave it away! Such is life I suppose.
The car at least went on to another owner and has survived, whiling it's time away in a private museum. As for the Propert, who knows? it might have got lucky and be one of the survivors.

George
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi George.
Not Propert related but a similar thing happened last week.
Linda had purchased an antique slate shop sign and I rang the owner to organise to pick it up, he was having lunch with another couple, and the gentleman mentioned after the phone conversation that they had to head home as I was coming to pick up the sign. The other gentleman said "not the slate sign hanging in the lounge room, I have asked you numerous times that I wanted it if you ever sold it."
So lunch was over and the second couple went home rather disgruntled. :lol: :lol:
Cheers.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Propert 208 currently for sale on facebook at $8000.00.

From memory Iam 99% sure that this is one of the vans from the now defunct Wildes Caravan Museum in Victoria.
Propert 208 1.jpg
Propert 208 2.jpg
Richard

Post by Richard »

Propert 202 recently advertised for sale on the internet for $18000.00 :shock: :shock: :shock:
Propert 202 c.JPG
Propert 202 a.JPG
Propert 202 b.JPG
Propert 202 d.JPG
Propert 202 e.JPG
Propert 202 f.JPG
Propert 202 g.JPG
Propert 202 h.JPG
Richard

Post by Richard »

Propert Folding Caravan Wheel Bearings.

A bit of info for anyone contemplating on new bearings for their Propert.

To get our van ready for the 70th Anniversary I needed to re grease and check the wheel bearings. The first side proved not to be a problem with the bearings and hub degreased, bearings checked and packed with new grease and reassembled. Job done in about 1 hour. The only problem I did have was the old bearings had been packed with a very thick and very black grease and the slightest amount went everywhere. :shock: :shock: :shock:

So on to the other side. To start the inner seal had come out and had flogged the centre seal out. Then after cleaning the bearings I discovered that the cage of the Inner bearing had been worn in sections by the rollers. So with the damage done I set out to order new bearings, but didnt like my chances as the bearings and seals are bout 60 years old.

so with the following bearing codes and axle sizes I started my enquires.

Axle inner size. 30.20 mm
Hub Inner size. 68.95 mm
Axle outer size 19.05 mm
Hub outer size 49.00 mm

Original Brearings.
Inner bearing code. SKF CK-14120
Outer bearing code SKF CK-09074
Seal 272124N8
Inner bearing has a lip for seal to run on at 44.43 mm

Now to the new bearings which are now Timken brand.
Inner cone. 14120
Inner cup 14274
Outer cone. 09074-20024
Outer cup. 09194
Seal. ???

So now to the cost. Apparently the bearings are very heavy duty for a trailer that weighs no more than 300kg, and along with the fact bearing pricing goes by the number produced, so the outer bearing is common and fairly well priced, now the inner bearing is very uncommon and you guessed it there hasnt been many produced. ( there was only 4 sets available in Australia.) which gave me a total ( for 2 sets of inner and outer and a seal ) of $480.00.
So If I had the time I would have probably had a new axle made with the hubs running on Holden bearings which are alot cheaper and easier to source.

Hub 1.jpg
Hub 2.jpg
Bearings.jpg