1930's Caravans.

A History of Caravan Manufacturers in Australia.
griffin

Re: 1930's Caravans.

Post by griffin »

This photo appeared in The Mercury (Hobart) on 5-4-1939 showing a van scene promoting the Easter Holiday.

Pity we can't see more of the van, and maybe dad should be looking for a better camp site, or at least putting a chock behind the wheel instead of looking adoringly at mum.
Easter holiday - The Mercury (Hobart) 5-4-1939.JPG
Looks like a nice spot though.
George
Stephen4Julie

Post by Stephen4Julie »

Hi,
This was a one owner from Brisbane, late 30's in great condition, can't wait to restore this one.
[URL=http://s1228.photobucket.com/user/swjob ... 9.jpg.html]ImageImage[/url]
Cheers S4J
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi Stephen&Julie
Wow what a great old van. It has a similar style to Humptys Janorma caravan and from memory is about the same vintage.
Just wanted to know though in the 4th photo down. What is the little square box on the floor protruding out from the cupboard with lino on the top. :?: :?:
Cheers.
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
Stephen4Julie

Post by Stephen4Julie »

Hi Richard
The small box on each side of the interior is probably has something to do with the axle and brakes being off a 1933/34 Ford V8 car and the multi leaf springs look like Ford too ,maybe '37/40 rear passenger car (thanks to Kaybee)

Cheers S4J :shock:
Richard

Post by Richard »

Not quite sure of the vintage of this car, or even the photo ( maybe Col can help ) but the photo was taken at the Coorong road house in South Australia.

The van has a 1930's streamlined appearance but also has the unusual part lantern roof.
Coorong SA.JPG
Its also interesting that the road house is still operating and the building is still basically the same shape.
Coorong RH.jpg
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
griffin

Post by griffin »

Another item from Trove showing a van in 1938, probably home built by the owner who would have known his way around the tools being a retired furniture manufacturer.
1938-12-16 - The Armidale Express etc -.jpg
He didn't opt for the usual wavy style 'go fast' stripe on the side either, preferring to just paint the top portion in a dark colour.

George
griffin

Post by griffin »

Another item from Trove and while this is from The Argus, 2 January, 1946, I should think it is more than likely a 30s built van given the War had occupied the 40s with it's attendant shortages of various construction material.
1946-1-2 - The Argus (Melb) vans at Sorrento..jpg
A nice shape van and I find the oval shaped window panes interesting. Shame that old Ford Coupe obscures the view and what appears to be a name on the side of the van.

George
griffin

Post by griffin »

With more of my life being absorbed by Trove recently I think this page from the Truth (Brisbane) of 19 -9-1937 is one of the most interesting pages I've run across.

Given that up until this time I'd found very little in Queensland for locally manufactured vans, it seems they all sprang out of the ground like mushrooms in a very short time. The main text of the article is just the usual bumf of the time extolling the virtues of the caravan life but it is the seven advertisements for Queenland vans that I find amazing.

The two interior photos within the article aren't identified but I'm inclined to think they might be from the Indian.

Click on the link and enjoy the read, most of the adverts have been added to their respective spots in The Library and those that haven't will be soon.

If you are new to Trove then I'm sure you will get the ideas, click and drag to move about or use the bars and you can enlarge with the gauge at the bottom right, good luck.

Several other companies have turned up in Classified advertising after this date so it seems this isn't all of them.

MORE hours in a day please someone!!

George
griffin

Post by griffin »

Oppy was the equivalent of a major rock star in his day, so much so that by the time I was growing up in the 50s and 60s his name was still commonly heard.
This item from The Telegraph (Brisbane) 26 October, 1937 shows the van and car to be used to accompany him on his attempt on the Perth-Sydney cycling record.
1937-10-26 - The Telegraph - Oppy.jpg

It is obvious who it was, that he rode a Malvern Star bicycle and used a Ford V8 car. Pity the caravan supplier didn't get in on the act too to enlighten us.

I have a feeling this has been posted before but I can't find it so apologies if it is duplicated.

George

And, while still in 1937, on the 20 December The Telegraph (Brisbane) published photos of folks enjoying their Christmas holiday break and several photos included caravans. For me they show some interesting details of the time even though no specific make is named.
1937-12-20 - The Telegraph a.jpg
Mum having a rest and a read on the folding divan bed shows a nice floral arrangement, photo on the wall and matching curtain and divan material.
1937-12-20 - The Telegraph b.jpg
This one has a family of six at what appears to be a pretty modest table, an interesting bowl or sink arrangement on the right but most of all it seems to be some kind of a folding van by the look of the canvas side inserts. Mum's wearing her hat at the table, was it only rude for men? And wearing a nice string of pearls.
1937-12-20 - The Telegraph c.jpg
This lass is in a substantial kitchen although I could imagine those two wooden supports may have been an impediment to food preparation. Two big tea pots on the bench, and what about that big handle visible between the posts on the wall. Water pump?
1937-12-20 - The Telegraph d.jpg
This one is a general outside view of the annex and two nice stoves and a couple of kettles. Brave souls having travelled from Woollahra, Sydney with five kids, or maybe just a couple with a few thrown in for the photo.
1937-12-20 - The Telegraph e.jpg
And this one of a very boxy little van with an unusual annex, awning over the rear entry door. Weight didn't seem to be a consideration in selecting chairs.

George
griffin

Post by griffin »

Here's another item from Trove from The Sun (Sydney) 3 september, 1939. Obviously there is a war on, caravans with camouflage finish!
The little one in the middle is a Caravan Park item.
1939-9-3 The Sun.jpg
And another interesting one, petrol wasn't rationed in the early part of the War and people seemed to go about there motoring, no doubt this chap from Shell could probably pull a few strings if needed to keep him on the move!
1939-5-21 The Sun.jpg
The interesting thing on this van is the white line around the edge. I've seen it often in wartime photos of cars to help make them more visible in 'blackout' driving conditions, but I've not seen it on a caravan before. Also from Trove, The Sun (Sydney) 21 May, 1939.

George