Skyline Caravans.

A History of Caravan Manufacturers in Australia.
Richard

Re: Skyline Caravans.

Post by Richard »

1956 vintage caravan ad for Skyline caravans taken from the Melbourne Argus newspaper.
Skyline 56.jpg
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
griffin

Post by griffin »

I'm confused. This advert is for Skyline from 1959, and I thought it looked familiar. Checking the Sunliner thread I found why, they used the same photograph and the Sunliner one even has Skyline on the van front too!? They have just fiddled it a little so it's not quite so clear. So who was doing what, did Sunliner make them and badge them as Skyline? Or saving on photographer fees?
Skyline 1959-2 Royalauto.jpg
And the ad from the Sunliner thread.
Skyline -Sunliner 59.jpg
George :roll: :?
Richard

Post by Richard »

It is an interesting point you have raised George as both the ads were around 1959 ( early in the factory production ) Bert actually sold these early moulds to Gracemur later on leaving Sunliner producing the new improved body.
It is only my thoughts after years of research on Sunliners that these vans were actually produced at Foster and sent to Victoria where they were badged. Who know we may actually find out the truth one day.
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
griffin

Post by griffin »

A bit confusing to me as both vans seem to be in production at the same time rather than an old mould being moved on. I found a further article in the same publication as the advertisement which indicates they were being produced at the Caulfiled address with a new factory being built at the Highett location.
Skyline 1959-2 Royalauto info.jpg
And some further Skyline advertising through into 1965, no further mention of fibreglass though.
Skyline 1962-3 The Royalauto.jpg
Skyline 1963-2 The Royalauto.jpg
Skyline 1965-2 The Royalauto.jpg
George
griffin

Post by griffin »

An advert from August, 1963 showing the distinctive Skyline style. Interesting that adjustable air springs are offered, I assume for the tow vehicle. It would seem they offer them under the Skyline name as I've only seen them advertised by Atlas. I have a set I've been trying to boost the back end of the Vagabond with but the springs are too wide for the brackets to fit properly :x
Skyline 1963-8 The Royalauto.jpg
George