Commercial Caravans.

A History of Caravan Manufacturers in Australia.
OlFarts

Re: Commercial Caravans.

Post by OlFarts »

As a young chap growing up in Perth in the 60s and 70s, I have fond memories of Burnie's caravan.

Sadly, I was sent photo's of Burnie's van recently, I will post the photos as soon as I can find them..

Burnie's was the longest in one spot food caravan in Australia, beating Harrys Café De Wheels by many years.

Dave
OlFarts

Post by OlFarts »

History down the drain, I wished I could have at least bought the side of the van, look great hanging on the wall of the Man Cave, well, its better than heading to China.
Attachments
ATT000323232.jpg
ATT000333333.jpg
griffin

Post by griffin »

Hi OlFarts

That's enough to make a grown man cry. Shame it ever got to that stage, it deserved to be in a museum too having started out earlier than Harry's, and a nice looking van to boot.

George
OlFarts

Post by OlFarts »

It sure is a shame mate :(
Richard

Post by Richard »

A 1950's vintage caravan ad with a small reference to the Carapark Commercial Division.
Carapark 1950's.JPG
Carapark 1950's 2.JPG
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
griffin

Post by griffin »

Here's a modern conversion seen on the weekend. The lady uses the teardrop as part of her craft business. Apparently it was a pretty sad specimen and a lot of work went into the rebuilt. Unusual that it is towed with an MGY saloon and it has a decided MG theme. Some lovely woodwork and it may be for sale soon as she is talking of upgrading. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like it would be much good for it's original intended use now.
MG and teardrop-c.jpg
MG teardrop-c.jpg
MG teardrop interior-c.jpg
George
OlFarts

Post by OlFarts »

I was taken home from hospital when I was born in Dads MGY.

Me in that car in about 1959-1960.
Attachments
David about 1959..JPG
griffin

Post by griffin »

Nice one OlFarts, I hope you still have all that blonde curly hair :D

Maybe you went to Sunday School in a caravan too? While by no means vintage this is certainly a different use for a van.
Sunday school van-c.jpg
George
griffin

Post by griffin »

A trip to the Cherry Festival in Young found me at a car show of course, held as part of the event. In the corner was a Carapark coffee shop. It is owned by a young local who converted it from a very sad caravan into a commercial van about six years ago so it is having a useful second life.
Carapark coffee van.jpg
And on the way back another converted van selling cherries on the side of the highway at Marulan. Unfortunately it appears to be lacking the love and attention given to the Carapark.
Cherry van - Marulan.jpg
George
griffin

Post by griffin »

We had a trip down the coast this week and stopped at the Berry Donut Van for comfort and refreshment and it has had another makeover as these two photos show. Previous incarnations are on page one of this post.
Berry donut van 24-2-16c.jpg
Berry donut van 24-2-16-c.jpg
George