Commercial Caravans.

A History of Caravan Manufacturers in Australia.
griffin

Re: Commercial Caravans.

Post by griffin »

I ran across this commercial van in a yard at Bargo a while back and it looks seriously commercial with that power box on the front. Big heavy looking thing with two access doors, both with an old sticker reading "Restricted Area - No Entry Unauthorised Persons".
Commercial van @ Bargo 1-c.jpg
Commercial van @ Bargo 2-c.jpg
It appears to have been in situ for some time and looks like remaining there the way the garden is advancing at the front. No one home other than a big dog so no information to be had, might try again when I'm down there unless someone recognises it.

George
griffin

Post by griffin »

Here's a couple of newbie commercials, included because they are copies of the most recognisable vintage van style, the Airstream, even if it was't Australian.

The first is a mobile ticket office which was located outside Sydney Town Hall recently and at first appearances thought to be an Airstream. Of all things it's a Pommie knockoff, a Rocket, "Hand Built in Britain."
Rocket 2c.jpg
Rocket 3c.jpg
Rocket 3c.jpg (102.68 KiB) Viewed 2427 times
A somewhat unorthadox drawbar arrangement I've not seen before.
Rocket 2 drawbar.jpg
And then at the George IV Hotel Rockabilly festival at Picton on the weekend, Stroop Bros were selling their wares from a home built van in the Airstream style. An album on the counter has photographs of the build using a steel frame. Turns out one of the operators is handy on the tools being a body builder by trade. Great job! I wonder if they have seen Marvin with those beaut front windows?
Stroop 1.jpg
Stroop 2.jpg
And there was a great collection of cars and bikes on display too.

George
griffin

Post by griffin »

This is a ripper commercial van, pity it never survived.
From Trove, Smith's Weekly 29 June 1935.
1935-6-29 Smiths Weekly.jpg
George
griffin

Post by griffin »

These two photos of a re-purposed Carapark Zestline were sent to me by a mate who found it at the Wentworth Hotel, Homebush. The display sign at the rear indicated is it the 'CARA BAR' and is available for hire. Nice and tidy and certainly better than rotting away in a paddock.
2019-10-29 Zestline rear - Wentworth Hotel  Homebush-c.jpg
2019-10-29 Zestline - Wentworth Hotel Homebush-c.jpg
George