Millard Caravans.

A History of Caravan Manufacturers in Australia.
Richard

Millard Caravans.

Post by Richard »

Millard Caravans.
26 Wicks Rd. North Ryde. Sydney ( click on address for location.)
and later moved to 49-57 Percival Rd Smithfield

Since 1953 Millard caravans have been constructing quality caravans and strived to be the best in the business. Millard was known for its pioneering leadership and many of their first were later accepted as standard equiptment for other caravan brands. By 1970 Millard were producing 10 000 caravans annually.
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
Richard

Re: Millard Caravans.

Post by Richard »

Mid 1970's Millard models brochure.
Millard Brochure 1.jpg
Millard Brochure 2.jpg
Millard Brochure 3.jpg
Richard

Post by Richard »

Millard Safari 4.jpg
Iam not sure of the origins of the Safari by Millard brand, but when a major caravan builder is constructing vans under a different name, it usually means that these vans are a more budget minded model. But till I can confirm this, who knows.

This van was listed on ebay in June 2010 and I have added these photos after several enquires about the origins of this brand.
Millard Safari 1.jpg
Millard Safari 2.jpg
Millard Safari 3.jpg
Millard Safari 4.jpg
Millard Safari 5.jpg
Millard Safari 6.jpg
Millard Safari 7.jpg
Millard Safari 8.jpg
Richard

Post by Richard »

1972 ad for Millard and York show models.
Mill 72.jpg
Richard

Post by Richard »

Early Millard information is a bit hard to come by considering the size the company got to in the 70's and 80's, but here is a small bit of info on the interior of a 56 model.
Millard 56.jpg
griffin

Post by griffin »

Found this Safari recently on a visit to Hill End. Lots of unfriendly 'keep out' signs and the sounds of a big dog barking kept me from venturing inside the gate to make any enquiries. It looked to be in pretty good order but was getting hemmed in by other 'collectable' materials. I don't know what year it is but it looks like it fits the Forums parameters.
Safari Caravan-c.JPG
George
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi George.
Dont let a couple of savage dogs put you off, get in there for some photos. :D :D

Its not a bad looking little van. I would say it is a slightly later model to the one I posted above, as the cladding on the bottom half is ribbed and the front window has two opening windows one above the other.

I have also found another bit of information for you.
It is a 1967 ad which states that Millard were first with colour, or first with a baked acrylic enamel finish to the aluminium cladding. Interestingly you could still get the plain embossed sheeting as well.
Millard  1967.jpg
griffin

Post by griffin »

Nice vans in the brochure but I think I'd need to upgrade the tow vehicle to haul one of those beauties :)

Here's two photos of another Millard accumulating moss and lichen. It's at my son in laws mother's farm and belongs to his brother who uses it for storage. I should check it out for bits and pieces ;)

They seem to have maintained a recognisable shape, this one has a diamond pattern aluminium cladding and a 'go fast' stripe on the lower part but a very small front window. I've no idea of the year.
millard 1.JPG
millard 2.JPG
George
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi George.
That would be a very nice van restored. It looks as thought the only damage is a scar from a tree down the drivers side.

I have had an email from a lady who has this Millard Capri for sale, which looks to be in good nick, but it is not as nice as the one above. :D
Millard Capri 1.JPG
Millard Capri 2.JPG
griffin

Post by griffin »

Another Millard Safari has popped up in my travels, this one at Londonderry on the side of the road, probably for sale, everything else around it has a price on it. It's behind a wire fence and has a fine diamond pattern aluminium finish like my son-in-laws one but it doesn't have the fancy go fast stripe. Again no idea of the year.

My first van that I used as accommodation when I was first married was a Millard and they seem to keep crossing my path, is there a message?
Safari - Londonderry-c.JPG
Safari rear - Londonderry-c.JPG
George