Jennison Caravans.

A History of Caravan Manufacturers in Australia.
griffin

Re: Jennison Caravans.

Post by griffin »

Not wishing to be repetitive but I just had to include this Modern Motor cover from December 1952, featuring a Jennison Pathfinder and kids with the peddle car and mini Jennison. It is the first photo on this thread, but I didn't realise it was from a MM. Picked this up from eBay the other day, 'Buy it Now' $8 thank you very much, couldn't resist and without a mention of caravan in the listing it had to be found the hard way.
1952-12c.jpg
Nothing in the issue about Jennison that I can find, not even an advertisement, the only information is on the cover "The Jennison Pathfinder in ideal surroundings." No argument there, I'm sure we would all like to replicate it these days.

George
akeepsake

Post by akeepsake »

Hi George, yeah I brought the same issue a while back hoping to find an article on the bondwood pathfinders but Alas only the front cover! If anyone knows which early Modern Motor has articles on the bondwood pathfinder 48-53 would to hear from you
Cheers Andrew
Ps my bondwood 49 Jennison ( testing to see if the pic works)??
jennison

Post by jennison »

Hi George, re the toy caravan I renewed my contact with bob Shannon who has one of these hens teeth a while back in the hope I might be able to persuade him to part with it. Alas(but understandably) he has too many fond memories of his early childhood towing his sister around in it with his pedal car so no sale. Maybe he might leave it to me in his will!!?
I would kill to find one(don't worry bob, friends and family excluded, so you're safe!!)
Andrew without any bias your resto and the picture story of it is as good as it gets. Your attention to detail and work to bring the 49 back to its absolute original glory are a credit to you.
When can you start on mine?
Richard no word for a while on how the pathfinder 17' is going? I keep on buying my VV mag every two month waiting for the next update!!!
Jenno
griffin

Post by griffin »

Hi Andrew,

The picture test went fine, the van is certainly looking fantastic and a great credit to you. Jenno and Richard will certainly have a high standard to work to when they get 'fair dinkum' with their restos.
Maybe a nice, smaller Jennison will turn up for me and I can swap my bigger bondwood for it, still very fond of Jennison's work.

Keep up the spade work on the toy one Jenno, you never know your luck. I reckon Richard could be turning out a few replicas in his spare time. He has the boy and girl now to replicate the picture!

George
jennison

Post by jennison »

I'm sure bob Shannon would gladly supply photos and specs if Richard.d ever got the urge!
akeepsake

Post by akeepsake »

Thanks George and Jeff for your kind words and encouragement ! It means a lot coming from you guys! I must say it has been a real treat to restore such an amazing van ( and I'm not bias either Jeff!) and will be even more so when I get to use it!
George it would be fantastic to find a "smaller" Jennison and one would hope there is still some out there somewhere! I have seen an add for a 10 footer pathfinder somewhere but they must have been scarce as most ads only go down to 12 foot which from reading the brochures has a couch/ bed at the back!
I would love to find a pre war Nomad but I think a Tassie tiger might show up first!

Jeff I have done a fair bit of antique furniture restoration and reckon I could knock up a couple of repro ( patina'd ) toy Jennisons! I would need some templates and a stack of picks etc but it would be a fun project!
akeepsake

Post by akeepsake »

Here's the add showing 10footers!
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi Andrew.
I must also must agree with the others, you are doing a fantastic job on the restoration on the Jennison. The restoration is only part of the fun, as I also enjoy getting out in the old vans and chatting to people about them.

Going of on a bit of a side track here but I have a vintage caravan advert for the 1961 Jennison Pathfinder.
Jen 61.jpg
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
griffin

Post by griffin »

Here's two more Modern Motor covers (or part thereof) featuring Jennison vans. The photos have already appeared on the first page of this post and as with the MM cover above I didn't realise they were from MM covers. Neither issue has anything about Jennisons in them and only the one with the Jag tow car gives details of the cover and identifies it as an 18ft Pathfinder. Somewhat oddly MM seldom gave details of their covers.
What more could you want from life, an 18ft Pathfinder, a Jag and a blonde! Heaven I'm sure.
Jennison - MM 1956-1-2c.jpg
1956-10-1c.jpg
George
Stephen4Julie

Post by Stephen4Julie »

Pathfinder/Franklin rebadge,
Found this van today near work, had to look twice when I spotted the Pathfinder badge on a Franklin caravan,there is a mention of Dick Pym rebadging Franklins in the late 60's. Nice badge

Cheers Stephen4Julie