Jennison Caravans.

A History of Caravan Manufacturers in Australia.
Richard

Re: Jennison Caravans.

Post by Richard »

Hi Jeff.
I have actually been trudging through the patent website, it a bit hard to find the required info but I did come across the Jennison patent as well as a couple of very interesting others that I will post at a later date.

Jeff also emailed a picture of the pop top caravan from the patent above. In the photo is John Jennison, Jeff's mum aged 12 and her brother John aged 10.
1934 pop top Road Cruiser.jpg
And also a photo of one of the Jennison Pathfinder pedal car caravans.
Pedal Car.jpg
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
Richard

Post by Richard »

1962 Jennison article.
Jennison.jpg
Richard

Post by Richard »

The Jennison Logo shown below is the same logo as shown on the front of the 1962 Jennison Pathfinder above. :D :D
Jennison Logo.JPG
griffin

Post by griffin »

From Trove another little find relating to Jennison which seems worthwhile posting.

This is the first advert for Jennison I've run across offering vans for sale or hire from his Sydney address, and it specifically offers the telescopic roof model. In fact I found nothing since the previously posted advert for the business in Adelaide, but I guess the move and getting sorted out would have taken some time, or maybe he just didn't advertise that much.
75-Jennison SMH 20-10-1936.jpg
75-Jennison SMH 20-10-1936.jpg (7.89 KiB) Viewed 1823 times
George
Richard

Post by Richard »

I came across this 1957 article on a Jennison Pathfinder. The van was a hire van which had travelled around 15,000 miles, which is a testiment to the quality build in these vans.
Its also interesting, well for me anyway, :D :D as they test drive was from Sydney to Kiama so they would have driven through Wollongong. :shock: :shock:
Jen 1.jpg
Jen 2.jpg
Jen 3.jpg
Richard

Post by Richard »

I seem to be compelled to post this vintage caravan ad for the 1961 Jennison Pathfinder range of caravans. :D :D
Jennison 61.jpg
griffin

Post by griffin »

In 1952 the Sydney Town Hall was the venue for The Outdoor Show from November 4-8. Detailed coverage of the event was published in Outdoors and Fishing magazine in January, 1953 with photographs and details given for 32 exhibitors. Not surprisingly caravans manufacturers were represented - by Jennison "Pathfinder" Caravans and Caravan Park Ltd.

This is the photograph of the Jennison stand, and the description, from which it seems Jennison focused his display on the children's model caravans, oh to be able to crank up the Tardis and go back in time for a first hand look, and maybe place an order or two.
Jennison - Outdoors and Fishing Jan 1953.JPG
The adjoining stand is of interest too, Hardie and Speare, as they were manufacturers of kerosene refrigerators "which will operate in the 'out of level' position" and the description mentioned use in caravan or yacht. It is difficult to read the price on the display card in the photo, but it appears to be 77 pounds, which seems like a lot of money back then.

The Carapark item will of course appear under that post.

George
Richard

Post by Richard »

One of the vintage caravan topics I have been investigating lately is some of the history of the Jennison Road Cruiser, with the 1935 patent listed in the previous page.

I originallly came across the following photos last year and it has taken me this long to do a little bit of research on the owner and finalise this post.

So who was William Pidgeon? Well he was a very talented Australian artist who's paintings one many awards including the Archibald prize 3 times, so he was no average painter.

The following photos belong to the William Edwin Pidgeon Estate.

May-June 1937. WEP (Bill Pidgeon) and wife, Jess and their dog, Dawn, made their home here for about 5 weeks during a 6 month tour around New South Wales and SE Queensland. "Arrived Jindabyne about 12. Have never realised what a cheerless place it was. Have always seen it through the roseate eyes of holiday merry making. Couldn’t find a blade of grass within a mile of the official centre. Finally wedged way onto only square of grass in district. Alongside Snowy River and amidst countless wild briars, all red-berried and leafless. Designated parking ground seems to be the local football area bordered with shallow creeks full of tins and broken crockery. No grass, colour key of this place is grey, endless and monotonous." - W.E. Pidgeon
WEP 1.jpg
William Pidgeon and Dawn.
WEP 2.jpg
Lennie Lower with Jess Pidgeon at the camp site on the Snowy River at Jindabyne
WEP 3.jpg
Lennie Lower having a smoke.
WEP 4.jpg
Jess Pidgeon and Dawn.
WEP 5.jpg
Jess Pidgeon boils up a billy on the camp stove whilst Lennie Lower surveys the snowy scene
WEP 6.jpg
Jess Pidgeon and Dawn
WEP 7.JPG
Jess Pidgeon and Dawn.
WEP 8.jpg
Dawn.
WEP 9.jpg
Campsite at Jindabyne.
WEP 10.jpg
Lennie Lower with Jess Pidgeon at the camp site on the Snowy River at Jindabyne.
WEP 11.jpg
The day we left Jindabyne.
WEP 12.jpg
Bylong Valley.

It can be seen that William Pidgeon took a huge number of photos of what I believe to be a Jennison Road Cruiser (pop top) caravan. The caravan has just about an identical shape of the other Road Cruisers shown in the post, other than the Duck tail rear end, with all of the others having a rear end that rolls under.

In photo WEP 4 a small plaque can be seen at the bottom left of the door but unfortunately its not clear enough to read it.
Photo WEP 8 shows a clear shot of the sides of the pop top and the 4 corner supports that hold it. Which can also be seen in the patent diagrams.
Photo WEP 11 is the only photo of the Road Cruiser pop top down ready for travel.

It is also very important to note that the " pop top" seems to be a solid structure that simply lifts up and is supported on the 4 corner pipes, and not a roof that lifts up and the 4 side panels fold up to form the pot top sides.

Click HERE to have a look at the full history of Willian Pidgeon.

And Click HERE for his 1937 caravan journal.
jennison

Post by jennison »

Great shots Richard, the story behind the "snow shots" explained !! Can I prevail on you to send me those photos please on my email
well done on your research
jenno
Richard

Post by Richard »

1967 vintage caravan ad for the Pathfinder.

By 1967 "Jennison" had been dropped from the name and the company was known as "Pathfinder Pty Ltd" .

Jennison or one of our new members Hughdeany may be able to give us a more accurate date on when they dropped Jennison from company the name.
Path.jpg