Reproduction lenses for cars and caravans

Technical Information and Photos of historic caravan restorations and repairs.
griffin

Reproduction lenses for cars and caravans

Post by griffin »

Today at the British Car Day I was approached by a chap offering his services to reproduce lenses for our cars, or anything else we wanted in clear, amber or red. He offers no tooling charges, no up front deposit, written quote, return of original sample lens undamaged and will do small numbers. I suspect 3D copy technology is starting to pay dividends. A couple of samples were provided with his literature, and they include the original makers numbers and marks, and whatever they are made of seems to be as tough as old boots, and has a glass look about them. I've tried to break one just with my hands, to no avail. I know if I treated one of my original lenses in the same manner I'd be looking for another one now. It might be worth talking to him in the future if you have a particularly hard to find lens you want to replace.
Located at Minto near Campbelltown, David Azzopardi Manufacturing, check out www.tailights.com

George
griffin

Re: Reproduction lenses for cars and caravans

Post by griffin »

A bit of an update on this item. I've had occasion to use this company to produce new reflector lenses for my Vauxhall Vagabond. It has some rather dodgy cheap ones fitted and while I had a set of the originals with their nice chrome mount the lenses were past their use by date. I carefully removed the undamaged one and presented it for cloning and while I intended to post a picture of the result for some reason that option isn't available to me. I'll look into that and hopefully post it in future.
The particular reflector is unique to Vauxhall and Holdens of the early 50s and has the GMH initials in very fine, raised print on the lens. That is included in the repo and quite visible in the photo if I can get attached.
David is easy to deal with and I can recommend his services if you have a troublesome lens you need reproduced.

George