The Great Paint Debate.

Technical Information and Photos of historic caravan restorations and repairs.
Richard

The Great Paint Debate.

Post by Richard »

The topic of what type of paint to use on a vintage caravan has always been a hotly contested topic.

Seriously though it does not worry me in the least wether you use enamel or acrylic paint on your caravan. Both types of paint have their advantages and disadvantages, and even though I personally prefer to use enamel paints because of the high gloss finish, I would rather see a vintage caravan being used then contest with the owner that he should have used enamel paint for originality.
It always amazes me that there are a few so called vintage caravan "purists" out there that, say for example, insist that every screw in a vintage caravan should be a slot head screw, but they will not accept that acrylic paint was not widely used even for house painting until the 1960's. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

see eHow "The History of Paint"
"Latex paint, which did not contain lead, was the paint of choice after 1960."

Another comment from an American vintage caravan restorer, Todd Anderson, a 30 year veteran of
Vintage Trailer Restorations
"Vintage trailers were all painted with oil based paint because that's all they had. You'll want to repaint your trailer with the same."

The following late 1950's British Paints Limited paint colour selections book shows the paint range for that era.
Paint 1.jpg
The paint range below shows the many different types of oil based paints available, with the only acrylic ( or latex, or plastic) paint available is Nu-Plastik which is only available in a dull satin wall and ceiling finish.
Paint 2.jpg
Paint 3.jpg
An exterior house selection typical of the era, which feature all oil based finishes.
Paint 4.jpg
Paint 5.jpg
An interior selection typical of the era, which again features heavily on oil based paints and only a small number of Nu-Plastik finishes.
Paint 6.jpg
Paint 7.jpg
Paint 8.jpg
Paint 9.jpg
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
griffin

Re: The Great Paint Debate.

Post by griffin »

Having become the owner of a bondwood van this last weekend which will need an exterior repaint, this is a debate I've suddenly become more interested in. I can't say I'm fond of the flat finish that seems to go with water based paints, but I'm sure there must be some high gloss ones available too. The interior should come up nicely with a clean, but I think the builder must have used half the pastel colours shown on that Supalusta chart, they certainly liked to mix things up inside.

George
Richard

Post by Richard »

Here is another bit of "fuel" to add to the fire on what type of paint was used on vintage caravans.

This 1950's Greythorn brochure says it all. :D :D
Greythorn Paint.jpg
Richard

Post by Richard »

Well it seems as though the evidence is starting to be a bit overwhelming in the debate for original paint Enamel versus Acrylic.

Here is another large manufacturer from the mid 1950's that specifies they are using Enamel Paint on the exterior of their vans.
Enamel Paint.jpg
griffin

Post by griffin »

I don't think there is much doubt good old enamel was the go, and probably all you could have for a long time. I seem to remember mum using water based paints in the early sixties and thinking they were great.

I went with a water based paint for my van, mainly because I thought I'd need a 44 gallon drum of Turps to clean up the way I work in bits and pieces, and water looked a lot cheaper and easier.

Even though I used a 'high gloss' paint it's nothing like the original finish, and then I finished up putting it on with a roller so it was never going to come up that well. After a lot of messing about with a brush and roller I got a painter mate gave me a hand to get the job done. And just like the video clips it all went on easily, makes a difference when you know what you are doing.

I'll see how it all turns out, but it would seem my choice to use a marine sealant on the timber first might not have been a good one. While it certainly keeps the water off and out it doesn't seem to have good adhesion, so I might have made a big rod for my back when I mask up to put the stripe on.

Indications are that my van was sprayed originally too, seemingly over a brush applied coat of red lead/oxide?!

George

The second coat on the roof came up much more even, applied with a roller this time.
reddo

Post by reddo »

Hi Griffin

Cleaning up brushes with turps does not require a lot of turps.
I "brush out" as much of the paint as I can on a scrap bit of timber .. or.. on one of the shelf posts in the shed before attempting to clean the brush.
I have a couple of old plastic jars that where originally used as lolly jars. approx. 300mm high X 125mm round with large screw on lids.
I fill them half way with turps and simply drop the brush in and give it a good bounce up and down / stir in circular motion for about 30 seconds... Then screw the lid on. Jobs done until I need the brush again.
The screw on lid prevents the turps evaporating , so no wastage. Jar holds a variety of brushes at one time.. I think I have about 4 or 5 in there at the moment from small 10mm up to 100mm.

Rollers and trays can be a pain
However.. I have reduced the clean up time and the amount of turps used by using a 100mm short napped roller. My brother is a signwriter , I have called upon his talents/skills on many occasions when painting old vans.. especially with oil based enamels.
He set me straight when he found me trying to get an even finish with a 250mm roller. it was leaving an "edge" when I was rolling around a curved edge where side meets top of van.
The 100mm roller solved the problem and allows a more even coat.
Use short napped rollers as they are less likely to leave "Fish eye" air bubbles in enamel than long napped rollers.
Obviously you use less turps to clean up thanyou would with a 250mm roller as well.
Again.. you coulkd "roll off" what ever paint is left in the roller and store it in another plastic jar full of turps. But I have found it easier to just disgard the roller and tray and buy a new one for the next project.. Tray and roller combos can be bought from Bunnings for under $10.

You mentioned that you do a lot of small jobs . bit by bit.. I usually get a lot of the fiddly bits ready for paint and do the lot in one go. saves constantly having to clean up after each small job.
Same with the van sides... plan ahead and hit both sides on the same day... One job.. one clean up effort at the end of the day.

Spray painting.... nup.... every attempt I have had a spray painting has ended up a failure.. I really should go back to tech and learn how to do it properly. An old van with a smooth glos enamel finish is a joy to behold..
But my clogged up . paint covered spray gun isn't :(

final comment on oil base paint finishes on old vans... it can be polished just like a car to revive that glossy lustre.. try doing that with water based finishes. ;)
Pay a little extra and get oil based paint. Take the time to prepare the surface properly . take your time applying it and.. reap the rewards with a smooth shiney long lasting finish 8-)

Water based paint !!!... ideal for interiors where you are not trying to achieve a mirror finish.. Flat white ceilings etc. But again...gloss or semi gloss enamel surfaces on doors and cupboards where smudge marks from fingers and hands occur. Gloss finishes allow a simple wipe over with a damp warm cloth for easy cleaning. Gloss /semi gloss water based painted surfaces will clean up .. but I have found you tend to remove some of the lustre when scrubbing it clean... even with a soft rag and mild detergent.

Of course water based clean up is a lot easier than oil based paints.. and you have an endless supply of water on tap to get things clean. Better for the environment... but its not the environment we are painting :lol:
All of the above is based on experienced gained over the past 10 years I have been involved in Vintage caravans and their use and restoration..
I am sure you will get told something completely different when you arrive at the paint counter of large wharehouse :roll: ... the shop assistant is there to sell paint and offer advice...but you have to ask yourself.. has their knowledge of paint come from a sales brochure / paint tin label ...or... from experience ???

I hope at least some of this will help those debating which type of paint to use on the van resto.

Again .. just another point of view on an interesting topic.
Regards
Reddo
Hughdeany

Post by Hughdeany »

Thanks Reddo,
Always great to hear real first hand knowledge from someone who knows what he is talking about!
Makes it easier to make an informed decision of where to start with my paint job.
Cheers
hughdeany
Richard

Post by Richard »

Another little bit of "fuel for the fire" on the enamel versus acrylic paint debate.

The photo shown below is of an unknown manufacturer and a small caravan built for ABC Radio, with the exterior showing a very glossy appearance. This gloss finish isnt possible with any type of acrylic paints.
ABC Mobile Studio.jpg
Richard

Post by Richard »

Oh well I think I can now give up on "the great paint debate" after this 1960 ad for Dulux paint showing which paint to use to protect your valuable vintage caravan, both inside and out. :shock: :shock:
Dulux Paint.jpg
reddo

Post by reddo »

Hi Richard

There will always be those who say.." Oil based paint was fine in the old days.... but time and technology has improved water based paints"
No argument about water based paints being improved.... but.. the bottom line is ... they are still water based.

The counter staff selling paint have been trained to extol the virtues of water based paint to the customer as it is more environmentally friendly than the old oil/lead based stuff.
Never mind the facts about oil based being better for outdoor applications and giving a better gloss finish....just use water based and save the environment

I have already posted my thoughts on the great debate... so wont make any more comment on it...

However... I often wander... if waterbased paint is the way of the future , why aren't car manufacturers using it ??????

Reddo