Viscount Caravan Restoration

Technical Information and Photos of historic caravan restorations and repairs.
Mikeoz22

Viscount Caravan Restoration

Post by Mikeoz22 »

Hi, I'm new to the board, and new to caravan restoration. I'm seeking advice please on things I should be aware of when restoring a Viscount caravan. I have pictures which I will post shortly. At the moment the caravan itself is in a state of disrepair and has seen better days, however I have faith that it can be returned to its former glory and return to the road. To begin with the van is (to my untrained eye) original, with the original fittings and fixtures etc. It needs some interior panels replacing, and some windows fixing to get it watertight.

My plan is to do the restoration in a 2 stage process since the van is intended as temporary accommodation for my step son. Once he's finished with it I can then do a full assessment and rebuild on it, but the initial aim is to get it to a stage where he can live in it for a little while.

I am seeking the members' advice on how to go about this restoration, and the things I should look out for - whilst I can replace the interior ply etc fairly easily, I'm a little concerned about the roof lining as it appears to be made of a paper fibre type of material that feels damp tot he touch. Anyway any advice etc that comes my way will be gratefully received. I look forward to sharing the restoration process with you.
Richard

Re: Viscount Caravan Restoration

Post by Richard »

Hi Mikeoz22.
And welcome to the ourtouringpast.com website.
You have come to the right place for advice on your Viscount restoration, with about 20 years of restoring vintage caravans we should be able to "nut" something out for you.
The paper fibre roof lining could be canite, but depending on the year of your van this would be unusual to have in a Viscount.
The best way for me and other members of the forum to help you is to post some photos and that way it gives us a better idea of what we are looking at.
There is a topic on posting photos in the section, but if you need help or would like me to post them for you email me at thetrodler@yahoo.com.au.
Cheers.
Richard.
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.