The Jennison Restoration.

Technical Information and Photos of historic caravan restorations and repairs.
Richard

The Jennison Restoration.

Post by Richard »

A couple of weeks ago Linda, Joshua and I went to Canberra to pick up the latest edition to Australias Caravan Museum.
It is a 1960/61 Jennison Pathfinder 17 foot with shower and Jones dolly wheel.
Jones Jennison.JPG
I havnt done a real lot with it over the last couple of weeks other than give it a clean out, take a lot of photos and write a list of things to be done and any special items needed.

I had a spare hour or so yesterday so I removed the 3 badly corroded Jennison Pathfinder logos.
Logo 1.JPG
Logo 2.JPG
I also removed this very brittle laminate plaque for the Caravan Manufactures Association.
Logo 3.JPG
I put the aluminium cast badges into my sandblasting cabinet and it took about an hour to clean all six of the up.
Logo 4.JPG
Logo 5.JPG
The badges are actually sand or rough cast and then the lettering is "highlighted" by milling the top of the text to make it smooth which also makes it stand out more.

But since the badges have been corroded as well as sandblasted the smoothness of the text had gone, so to rectify this I could have milled the badges but this would have removed more material from the badges. So instead I used a flat piece of granite and wet it to hold a sheet 1200 of wet and dry sandpaper, I then placed the face side on the sandpaper and rubbed which in turn polished the text. I then finished of with a sheet of 2000 to make it even smoother.
Logo 6.JPG
The text after about 2 minutes of rubbing.
Logo 7.JPG
The first finished pair.
Logo 8.JPG
The three finished badges. Iam not sure if the bottom two were more corroded or if I just got sick of sanding them, as the text is not quite as polished.
Logo 9.JPG
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
Richard

Re: The Jennison Restoration.

Post by Richard »

I mentioned in the post above that I had taken a heap of photos and wrote a list of things needed.

Well this list of things needed has paid off today as we went to our local markets this morning.

The Tyre on the Jones dolly wheel is a 4.8-4.00 x 8
JDW a.JPG
So at the markets I found this brand new tyre and alloy rim for the huge price of $5.00. :shock: :shock:
JDW b.JPG
As you could imagine I was pretty happy with that. :D :D :D
JDW c.JPG
So all I need to do now is to pay a visit to my mate that owns a tyre shop and get him to remove the tyre from the rim and once the original steel rim has been sandblasted and painted, bolt the 2 rim halves to the tyre.
JDW d.JPG
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.