Exterior Paint for my 69 Crusader

Technical Information and Photos of historic caravan restorations and repairs.
JustinS

Exterior Paint for my 69 Crusader

Post by JustinS »

Gosh i sure hope i have done this right........... here goes...... .......
Gooday all. As the newest member to this forum i would like to thank you alll for your interesting topics over the recent months, I have enjoyed browsing through your valuable information.
I have a few questions for those who are willing to help me with my decisions on paint for the external of my van. I am quite sure that this topic has done the rounds before, but i cannot find any recent comments to reference.
To enamel or 2-pot? this is my delema. Pro's and con's for each application. Does anyone have personal experience with both, or suggestions on what could work best?
Just to fill you in, i am no expert in this field (but have endless enthusiasm)
Paint is something one relies on others to both suggest and apply, as far as i am concerned. However, i have received numerous ideas/advise/arguments on what will be best, for my project. Basically, i have used a product called Coopers Paint Stripper to remove the very sad efforts others before me have splattered and licked onto this poor girl. A medly of interior and gloss enamel of colours ranging from mint green to devils maroon have been applied. (gee how trends and fasions have mis-guided peoples tastes)
Anyhow, this aside, i also have the issue of pitt marks in the aluminium which need attention. Any suggestions...... or rather any previous experience in this field would be greatly appreciated.

Justin (Auckland NZ)
Richard

Re: Exterior Paint for my 69 Crusader

Post by Richard »

Hi Justin
and welcome to the ourtouringpast.com forum.
Well to start with Iam not that greatly experienced with spray painting, but I do know that 2 pack ( or pot ) gives alot harder finish than enamel. But 2 pack does have drawbacks in the fact that it is hard for the handy man to apply at it is "toxic" and a special respirator needs to be worn when spraying.

Hopefully one of the more experienced forum members may be able to give more advice.

Cheers.
Richard.
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
griffin

Re: Exterior Paint for my 69 Crusader

Post by griffin »

Hi Justin

Welcome to the Forum, I 'll offer my own painting preferences and hopefully you can get closer to making a decision.

My experience is limited to my own vehicles and a fiberglass van and my only training being evening courses at Technical College so I'm no expert. I know lots who have done excellent jobs without any training too, clever sods.

My preference is acrylic lacquer over two pack. From a home users point of view it is much friendlier and easier AND you can rub out your mistakes if something goes wrong. Given I'm painting in the front yard, which is probably against several council by laws, I don't want to push my luck by using 2K and make the neighbours kids or dogs crook!

One of my old cars has been painted in 2K and while it requires minimum care it still chips and scratches and just a lot harder to something about in my view. Other cars have been done in acrylic and look great after 10 years, they are under cover and not exposed to the weather and have had minimum polishing.

My van only required a partial repaint and you can see the before, during and after results here, using lacquer. There was considerable and various damage around the area to be painted and I used Selleys Plasti Bond plastic putty which is a two pack filler which according to the info on the packet will stick to anything. I found it excellent for repairing the gel coat from big gouges to stone chips. Smaller items I found after putting on the undercoat were done with 'spot putty' found at auto paint shops. Time will tell how it lasts as it is subjected to more weather than the cars. After the first trip there is some stone chipping to the front which I expected and I'm looking to put clear stone guard film on it, like they use on some cars.

I don't remember from my tech course that there were any issues with using lacquer on aluminium but it would be wise to check if you went that way.

I'm not a fan of spray enamel, I only used it once and wouldn't go there again but depending on the area you might use household exterior enamel with a brush or roller. Enamel has a long drying time which is difficult unless you are under cover. Odd leaves and bugs stuck to the paint are not a good look. Same problem with 2k by the way.

You mentioned pitting in the aluminium and I don't know if that is stone chip damage or from corrosion. If the latter and there is white powder residue I'd seek some expert advice on stabilising that before using any filler on it.

I don't know if you saw the post on this site about the New Zealand Vintage Caravan Association but it might be worth contacting them with a PM for some local advice.

Re reading you post is seems you might not be tackling a paint job yourself anyway so if you are using a professional paint shop they will guide you. They may not do what you want which is why I have a car in 2K. It was repainted after an accident (an insurance claim) and despite knowing the repair shop owner he just flatly refused to repaint with acrylic, and that was more than 10 years ago! If you are getting it done professionally it's likely they would use 2k, it's a lot easier and cheaper it seems.

Hope this is of some use, good luck with the project, look forward to some photos of your van, before and after.

George