Caravan Light Security

Technical Information and Photos of historic caravan restorations and repairs.
Tooleyau

Caravan Light Security

Post by Tooleyau »

Security Lights on a Van that automatically light up when someone approaches.

One of the interesting things found out in our recent travels to Ayers Rock and beyond relates to security.

I have always been security conscience with our car and van when travelling. Always lock the car, or van when away from either (even when going to the toilet) and keeping valuables out of sight.

When we were in Coober Pedy we had a visit from the local constabulary who called us together for a chat, and he said that there was a bit of opportunistic crime in the town. Apparently the previous night some bloke had got up for a midnight stroll to dispose of unwanted fluids, left his van door unlocked while he was away and some of the locals had opened the door of his van and pinched his wallet that was sitting on the table. His wife was in the van at the time.

When we were in Alice Springs a van beside us lost a pair of runners to someone who wandered through the park at night. Our annex had been visited, but it appears that no-one wants our grey water bucket.

So I came up with a solution and have detailed it, with images on the following location.

http://vintagecaravans.proboards.com/th ... ghts-safer
reddo

Re: Caravan Light Security

Post by reddo »

Hi Tooleyau

Followed your link an had a look at the lights / sensor .... Well done mate.
Any deterent at all to prevent unwanted visitors walking off with your goodies is a good idea.

As you know i travel alone a fair bit and it can be a pain in the bum having to lock things up... even when getting fuel at some of the more remote stops. Ya never know who is watching when you go to pay for the fuel and or head around the side of the servo to the toilet.. or non toilet for a squirt.
Only takes a few seconds to loose stuff out of the car to some local that has sat and worked out a system with a window of opportunity to steal things

Geoff Firefighter mentioned "Get a dog"... but from my experience with dogs and caravans..
The dogs prefer to stay permanently inplanted between the owners in bed of a night.
Not too many of em are "On duty" outside once the lights go out.

Maybe the alarm system of a car .. or a similar after market device with alarm would be the go.. already 12v .. but all of those systems rely on the vehicle actually being bumped of a circuit being created when a door is opened etc. .. perhaps a low dba alarm could be incorperated into your set up... smoke detector alarm...??.. nup... 9 Volt

Years ago I mentioned one means of keeping the light fingered locals from entering your annexe /van... but it didnt seem to go over to well with most people..
:idea: Take 1 dozen rabbit traps and set one between each annexe rope around the perimeter of the annexe.......
Ummmmmmm.... :roll: i guess ya can see why it wasnt popular... :lol: :lol:

Other one was a length of 50lb fishing line with a beer can ( with marble inside ) attached to the line and set up about 200 mm above the ground on your annexe poles. anyone entering the annexe hits the trip wires and set the cans clanging...... fair chance it could be yourself after getting up for a 3 oclock toilet run.
There was a Mark 11 version of this system which had the line attached to a pump action shot gun, spear gun, grenade and a claymore explosive device....
Worked a treat ... but left a 3 metre crator in the caravan park and the van and offender have never been seen since ... :o :shock:

As always.. happy to share blue prints of ingeniuos ideas..

Regards
Reddo
Tooleyau

Post by Tooleyau »

Reddo,
One other addition to the above scenario that was discussed over a beer is a possible further addition to the security system.
As the 4 lights are powered through a 12v relay you could add a car airhorn to the circuit. That would wake you, and half the caravan park.

However, considering the situation where you mentioned you might need to dispose of excess fluids. In this situation you could put a hiddden switch on the van that turns on the movement detectors as well as the air horns.

Another option would be to add some sensors on the car as well.

Since the parts are cheap as chips then the outcome is soly reliant on your imagination and your wiring and soldering skills.

Tooley.
reddo

Post by reddo »

Hi Tooleyau

I still reckon the best early warning device is a dog that has the gonads and ability to sleep outside under the van or annexe.
One which has a good sharp set of dentures and the ability to detect the difference between friend or foe before sampling the offenders leg. :shock:
Barking or biting to Fend off would be intruders in the wee small hours of the morning is one excuse that i feel most campers would accept as a reasonable excuse for being awoken during the night.

Reddo
Tooleyau

Post by Tooleyau »

Reddo,
The advantage of this system is that you do not need to feed it, nor do you have to pick up barker eggs, or leave the room if the dog farts.
Tooley